SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-06-11, 08:22 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default feckin TomTom

its a minefield trying to get a TomTom with itinerary route planning. their webshiz is next to useless and so are the numptys in Halfords. every question i ask they look at me with a blank expression on their face.

that's 2 i have now had the misfortune of trying only to find out they are next to useless pieces of crap. first one was a TomTom Start 20 which is about as good as a chocolate fire poker the next pleasure is the TomTom XL2 IQ piece of striped out crap.

so its back to helfors tomorrow to try and get this one swapped for something that actually works.

this is driving me nutz so if any of you bright people know which TomTom/Garman works with TYRE and doesn't cost the earth can you please let me know. Thanks
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 08:26 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: feckin TomTom

Both my TomTom rider and Garmin bike **** Nav both worked fine with Tyre no problem
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 08:31 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

would if i was loaded m8 but i ain't. i cant justify spending 200+ on a spaznav at this moment in time so the bike specific ones are out of the equation.
Old 30-06-11, 08:34 PM   #4
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Tom-tom one. Works with tyre and itinerary planning.

Cheap on eBay.

I use it on the bike for long ride outs.

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 09:00 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
would if i was loaded m8 but i ain't. i cant justify spending 200+ on a spaznav at this moment in time so the bike specific ones are out of the equation.
Aye thats the problem. Bought both of mine 2nd hand for just over £100

Didn't like the Garmin even using Tyre to plans rideout routs, sent us off in strange directions, TomTom is a bit better, but not fully test yet
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 09:24 PM   #6
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

I am using a car tomtom (a GO 530) in a ram mounted waterproof case and all is great. I am using google maps and tyre to get ITN based routing setup on the thing

The basics I go through are:

1) Get your own or someone else's route link from google maps (e.g. this is one)
2) Open Tyre and select the file->import from website
3) Paste in the google maps link and click import
4) The maps screen should appear with what you want, click import again
4) Have a tinkle to get it just right in Tyre (click waypoint->show route to see the route on a map) and save it as an ITN file
5) Put the ITN file into the ITN folder on the device or memory card (if it has one)
6) On the tomtom go to Itinerary planning and load the file and navigate it

Just make sure you put enough waypoints in so the thing doesn't get too clever on the route, I normally make sure there is a waypoint just after each turn etc

Hope that helps and I am not preaching to the choir as it were

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 30-06-11 at 09:33 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 09:37 PM   #7
Specialone

You would probably get a bike specific Tom Tom 2nd hand for your budget, but I got a boxed factory refurbed TomTom 710 for £85 delivered about 2 years ago, these were £250+ when they came out, I use it on my bike all the time.
Old 01-07-11, 01:00 PM   #8
Doinitmyway

While over in Belgium, Germany & Holland recently I used the Tomtom XL2 in the top of the tankbag. 5" screen was reasonably easy to see, though the sun and general reflections on the clear top sometimes made it a pain.

Routes all set up with tyre with waypoints for a specific route we wanted to take.

Was pretty easy I thought. Didnt use the Tomtom software at all, used the tyre software/google maps to create the .itn file then just moved it over to the relevant folder in the root of the Tomtom memory.

The only thing I would say is you have to pass through the waypoint for it to auto mark it as visited so dont just put a town as a waypoint.

Learned mucho for the next trip

Chris
92 RG80 (x2!)
89 AR125 - 89 RG125
75 CB200
Doinitmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 04:13 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

the XL2 i got had no way of getting at the file to load it.

i have come to the conclusion that tomtom are rather sparse on their literature so they can go take a hike.

i have had a look at Garmin's and it looks like most of them do route planning. i'm going to pop up to helfords and have a play later, don't think they are to chuffed at me as that's 2 tomtom's i have taken back

the problem with the tomtom's that i have had is it only lets you plan a route from point to point than add only one 'via'. the Garmin's i have had a look at differ slightly in that there is an added button on the more expensive one (newlink 2310) that is specifically for multi route planning. the nuvi 1410 i have had a look at is a bit more awkward to use but does the same thing and from reading the user manual it looks like i can save the routes which should mean that i can upload from TYRE.

whatever one i choose now i know for a fact that they ain't going to change it again so it better be the right one this time lol

i do wish manufacturers were a bit more forthcoming about the features of their products.
Old 01-07-11, 05:28 PM   #10
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

If you use the basic instructions I posted above with Tyre/Google then the Tomtom does a good job IMHO and to be fair I wouldn't want to edit on the device itself, it's horrible regardless of manufacturer doing that sort of stuff on a small touch screen. Please don't go and buy another sat nav if you already have a tomtom, instead give it another try using tyre and google....you may well be wasting money for no reason otherwise.......IMHO that is

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote