SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-01-11, 09:48 PM   #1
bigchris

Default cbr600 reg rec question

hi all,

im going to replace my standard sv reg rec (k1) with a cbr600 one (model shindengen sh693-12) and need some advice.

1. the 3 wires from the stator on the bike go to the three contacts on the right hand side of the picture?

2. can any of the stator wires go to any of the three contacts to the right of picure?

3. the two contacts to the left of picture are live and neutral?

4. which one is live and which one negative? Is there a way to check which is which?

5. I take it getting these the wrong way around would damage something?

6. am i ok to cut the connector block from the bike and solder spade clips onto the bare wires, then plug into the individual contacts on the cbr reg rec?

cheers in advance for your replys.

big c

Attached Images
File Type: jpg reg rec.jpg (5.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 28-01-11, 09:50 PM   #2
bigchris

Default Re: cbr600 reg rec question

sorry for the small picture. anybody know how to make it bigger??
Old 29-01-11, 07:24 AM   #3
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning.

Indeed you would in all likelyhood bugger something if you were to connect the wires incorrectly.

If the regulator is the type I think it is. The terminal on the top lefthand side of your picture is the output wire, (red & white on Hondas) & the bottom lefthand one is the earth connector, (green on Hondas). The three remaining ones on the righthand side are the input wires from the alternator.

I have, in the past used individual connectors to wire these in, but, that's been on a temporary basis in order to get someone home. I wouldn't advise it for permanent use, as, the terminals wont be properly insulated from each other, because in the original connector block the termianls are set back from the end slightly, & in individual terminals, they're not.

I have to say that this is probably the worst regulator/rectifier Honda ever used. Back when just about every Honda over a certain size used them, (90's) I used to keep two new replacements on the shelf.
Some of the high rate of failure was most likely down to defiencies in the type of alternator Honda used, but not all of them.

If you do choose to go ahead & fit it, somewhere I think I have some spare connector blocks. These come complete with the correct 'lock in' terminals, including the two larger ones that are required for the output & the earth connectors. I'll have a dig around & see if I can find them, & let you know.

Cheers.

Last edited by Spanner Man; 29-01-11 at 07:25 AM.
Spanner Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-11, 07:41 AM   #4
bigchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner Man View Post
Good morning.

Indeed you would in all likelyhood bugger something if you were to connect the wires incorrectly.

If the regulator is the type I think it is. The terminal on the top lefthand side of your picture is the output wire, (red & white on Hondas) & the bottom lefthand one is the earth connector, (green on Hondas). The three remaining ones on the righthand side are the input wires from the alternator.

I have, in the past used individual connectors to wire these in, but, that's been on a temporary basis in order to get someone home. I wouldn't advise it for permanent use, as, the terminals wont be properly insulated from each other, because in the original connector block the termianls are set back from the end slightly, & in individual terminals, they're not.

I have to say that this is probably the worst regulator/rectifier Honda ever used. Back when just about every Honda over a certain size used them, (90's) I used to keep two new replacements on the shelf.
Some of the high rate of failure was most likely down to defiencies in the type of alternator Honda used, but not all of them.

If you do choose to go ahead & fit it, somewhere I think I have some spare connector blocks. These come complete with the correct 'lock in' terminals, including the two larger ones that are required for the output & the earth connectors. I'll have a dig around & see if I can find them, & let you know.

Cheers.
That would be really helpfully fella, you say this is the worst reg rec Honda ever used ? would I be wasting my time fitting this reg rec? Don't want to go to all the trouble of fitting it for it to fail!
It does fit a cbr600 but also vtr1000 and a few other bikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29-01-11, 11:57 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Later one is better, that is shunt type. Later ones like after 05 or something use FH012 IIRC. (F for FET, transistor, much more reliable)
Old 29-01-11, 06:44 PM   #6
kerby

Quote:
Good morning.

Cheers.
Ditto,after market ones (german or electrix) are fitted or an R1 (if I remember right) one as replacements as a matter of course on the steely cbr`s.
Old 01-02-11, 07:39 AM   #7
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

Finally found those blasted connectors If you still want one, PM me your details, & I'll stick one in the post for you.

Cheers.
Old 01-02-11, 07:48 AM   #8
bigchris

Quote:
Good morning all.

Finally found those blasted connectors If you still want one, PM me your details, & I'll stick one in the post for you.

Cheers.

Pm sent fella

Old 02-02-11, 07:19 AM   #9
no_akira

Did exactly what you've planned using the cheaper Honda rectifier £20 as opposed £60, times are hard.

see my earlier post for some pictures
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ectifier+honda

Quote:
2. can any of the stator wires go to any of the three contacts to the right of picure?
I was scratching my head over this, you know where the live and ground go obvious but the 3 yellow stator wires ?

A: It doesn't matter, as long as the rectifier is receiving 3 pulses in each revolution of the crank.

The main reason for doing this was that IMO the curvy rectifier is positioned poorly with no adequate air flow, reducing its life..... Suzuki have acknowledged this by moving the rectifiers in all later models. On the V-strom its right up the front, directly in the airflow.

NB: Another problem can be that the holes for bolting it to the bike are in slightly different positions.
Old 02-02-11, 05:00 PM   #10
bigchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_akira View Post
Did exactly what you've planned using the cheaper Honda rectifier £20 as opposed £60, times are hard.

see my earlier post for some pictures
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...ectifier+honda

I was scratching my head over this, you know where the live and ground go obvious but the 3 yellow stator wires ?

A: It doesn't matter, as long as the rectifier is receiving 3 pulses in each revolution of the crank.

The main reason for doing this was that IMO the curvy rectifier is positioned poorly with no adequate air flow, reducing its life..... Suzuki have acknowledged this by moving the rectifiers in all later models. On the V-strom its right up the front, directly in the airflow.

NB: Another problem can be that the holes for bolting it to the bike are in slightly different positions.
So stator wires can go on any on the three smaller terminals and ground and live to the bigger two?
Which one is live though? Does it not matter which way they go?( live and negative terminals)