SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-08, 10:45 PM   #1
de bong

Default Newbie SV owner with a question or two

Hi all,

First apologies if these questions have already been raised but I tried searching but could not find anything specific to my questions.

This is my first bike in 11 years and I have to say I am totally loving it...

Anyway I have a '03 SV650S with 17K miles on the clock and I have noticed especially when the bike is cold I get a single knock sound from what seems to be under the tank towards the right hand side. I rev the engine between 3-4K rpm and then release the throttle. When the revs are just about to idle @ about 1400 rpm I hear a single "knock" noise. A few of my mates have heard it and seem to think its nothing serious but I was hoping somone might be able to confirm. The power is very smooth through the revs and I ony hear it when the revs go back to idle. I have the bike 3 days and it has always been there...Any ideas?

This brings me onto my next question, the guy I bought it from said the bike had been serviced recently but he came accross as doing everything on the cheap(e.g. fitting Avon tyres and the oil level barely registering). I am going to bring it for a full service for my own piece of mind but considering the mileage is there anything in particular I should tell the bike shop to pay extra attention to?

Really love the bike , I just want to maintain it the best I can.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Old 20-09-08, 11:30 PM   #2
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Newbie SV owner with a question or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by de bong View Post
(e.g. fitting Avon tyres and the oil level barely registering)
Welcome to the site . Avon Tyres are not the most expensive but the Avon Storms or Azaro are recognised as a very good tyre for the SV . As far as oil level goes you should read it this way . Come back from a ride and turn the bike off , wait 3 minutes and tilt the bike back up off it`s sidestand into the vertical position and check the oil , it should be just on the F Line about 3/4 up the way of the sight glass . Hope this Helps
Old 21-09-08, 07:41 PM   #3
de bong

decided to try and locate the noise today so I removed the tank, opened the air filter casing and turned out to be one of the valves under the filter...happy days...I have an even bigger smile on my face now
Old 21-09-08, 08:06 PM   #4
xXBADGERXx

Happy ending then
Old 21-09-08, 10:03 PM   #5
metalmonkey

I'm no expert however did you ask what was done for the recent service? Find that out first, then where it was and by who if its a bike shop call them and ask.

For most part you can do it yourself, would the injectors need syncing/balacing at this mileage I would have though so, would the shims be checked? Can someone answer this with more knowlegde?

Second why spend monye if it has been done!
Old 21-09-08, 10:46 PM   #6
de bong

The guy I bought it from said brakes, oil and filter were done in the service...I agree why spend more money on a service if its not needed especially since I need a new screen on the top fairing(cracked), crash bobbins and a decent after-market exhaust....One thing I have noticed is the bike seems to be heavy'ish on juice...At best on a full tank I'm getting 130 miles of moderate driving...is that good or bad?

thanks
Old 21-09-08, 10:53 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

At 17k miles the valve clearances should have been checked at 15k.

Out of balance throttle valves and badly adjusted TPS will hurt economy and driveability.
Old 21-09-08, 11:10 PM   #8
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

hiya mate, just a quick welcome to the site & glad you enjoy the bike. can't help with any of the questions because I am crap but I can definitely recommend the haynes manual to help with odd jobs and Yorkie Chris recommended the workshop manuals to me (available here - hope ya don't mind me mentioning this YC).

You made the right choice buying a pointy (2003-current). Them there curvys are slower*

*probably

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-08, 11:48 AM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
Avon Tyres are not the most expensive but the Avon Storms or Azaro are recognised as a very good tyre for the SV
I think the majority on here would confirm that too.