SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 27-07-14, 01:23 PM   #1
Foot

Default Pilot Roads Vs. Roadsmarts

So a screw wrecked my back tyre, fortunately they were on their way out so it's tyre shopping time! I don't particularly fancy riding the bike with repaired tyres, and like
I said, they're getting on and I was going to replace them after maybe 1000 miles.

Never bought tyres nor have I had bikes for very long, feel like a kid in a sweet shop.
I'm unfortunately on a student budget, and I've basically narrowed my options down to pilot roads or roadsmarts, as per the title.

Dunlop seem to have a bad press? But then the roadsmarts are dual compound - will this be a marked improvement over the pilots which are now a fairly dated tyre?
Those who have used either/both, what kind of mileage did you get? (Commenting on how hard you ride the bike).

And finally, if there are any other suggestions chuck them in, bear in mind I can't spend more than £200 including fitting. And I might not be having them fitted loose
due to lack of tools/skill.

I know there are lots and lots of reviews for both, and I've read as much as I can, but the problem is, is that the reviews were written when the tyres were new and cutting edge. And I don't have the experience
to be able to take their age into account.

Thanks for your help!
Old 27-07-14, 02:18 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pilot Roads Vs. Roadsmarts

First question, what is your bike used for? Commuting or fun, or one more than the other?

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-14, 02:40 PM   #3
Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
First question, what is your bike used for? Commuting or fun, or one more than the other?

Sorry I had intended to include that. Mostly for fun. I sometimes go from Manchester to Norfolk, which is maybe a 300 mile round trip but that's only once in a while - majority of my mileage is having fun in the peaks. I would like to improve my cornering technique, which includes speed.
Old 27-07-14, 03:08 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

How many miles do you do a year? 2 compound tyres are good for grip and mileage. I use Michelin Pilot Power 2CT currently, and will be going to Pilot Power 3's when these are due for a change.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-14, 10:26 AM   #5
Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
How many miles do you do a year? 2 compound tyres are good for grip and mileage. I use Michelin Pilot Power 2CT currently, and will be going to Pilot Power 3's when these are due for a change.

Well in the last 7 weeks I've done 2400 miles, which is a lot but that will go right down from september since I'll be at uni and won't be able to fund such fun.
So in 1 year.. I'd say no more than 5000 - being generous.
I'll ride in the rain too, which I believe the power's aren't too well suited to.

So I guess the roadsmarts will be better than the pilots?
Old 28-07-14, 12:08 PM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

You need to search for a good deal on any of the sports or sports touring type.
On the saggy zx6r I've got the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa. The sides are a bit soft but that's what your looking for. And you got freebies with them!
Old 28-07-14, 12:45 PM   #7
Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
You need to search for a good deal on any of the sports or sports touring type.
On the saggy zx6r I've got the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa. The sides are a bit soft but that's what your looking for. And you got freebies with them!
Found myself a deal, roadsmarts 2, £240 ride in ride out and I get a £25 cashback deal from dunlop. So that's pretty good. Not that my wallet will think so.

But then if I'm not spending money on my bike, why would I even bother earning money?
Old 31-07-14, 06:27 PM   #8
Andy862

The michelins are the only tyre I have stuck with on my zxr400L9 RS50 and now my K3 sv650. I cannot rate them high enough even took then on track. They performed well.
Old 31-07-14, 06:52 PM   #9
Foot

That's an impressive photo!
Very cool.

So far the roadsmart 2s are an enormous improvement over my squared off road attacks. Still scrubbing them in though.. and all it does in Manchester is rain so it's taking far too long.
Old 31-07-14, 06:54 PM   #10
Andy862

Have you tried tyreleader.co.uk ? Having a look for track tyres at the moment and there prices are good.