SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-12-04, 12:06 AM   #1
caines

Default irresponsible thread..............

Ive done 1000 miles on my SV now and I feel quite confident on it but today I had a taste of biking that was never available to me on a 125.

Im sitting at a red light, first gear, clutch in - raring to go. Im on the inside lane (of 2) which lead into a highstreet. As the light went orange a 2.0 turbo seat Ibiza went past at about 20 (presumably slowing down and nailing it seeing the orange light), I heard his dumpvalve as he punched it over the junction and from a standing start, I slipped the clutch with loads of revs completely kaned it and as I got along side him I dropped the clutch and BANG, I did the most glorious wheelie lol!

My first ever proper wheelie and sorry everyone but I absolutely frigin loved it. The guys girlfriend in his car looked like she wanted my babies, the SV shamed him in his mass produced essex boy pile of cheese. Ive run it in now and man does it move!

Respect.
Old 15-12-04, 12:58 AM   #2
Wiltshire7

nice one

ive done a few by mistake also, but at least now i can see how i did em, so how to avoid them if i need to.

i wouldnt go around trying to get the wheel up this time of year though, might cost u an arm and a leg, literally

well done on beating the ibiza though, damn boy racers. just watch out they dont knock u off!
Old 15-12-04, 01:13 AM   #3
Carsick

Should I be embarassed? I've never got the front wheel in the air when riding solo. When riding 2 up I've done it a couple of times, but I've never adjusted the rear shock, so not overly surprised.
Old 15-12-04, 01:15 AM   #4
jonboy

Wheelies are cool, enormous fun and are a show of skill. Do understand however, that popping a wheelie in a busy London street could well see you imprisoned due to a dangerous driving charge. Strange but true. So take care and look carefully but best of all go somewhere quite that won't attract attention.

Old 15-12-04, 01:56 AM   #5
nuntius

Can someone tell me how to do a wheelie , because genuinely i don't want to do one by accident and this way i can avoid it.
Old 15-12-04, 03:07 AM   #6
Rodger Wabbit

Hi, you can wheelie the SV in a couple of different ways.

First : you can be going along in first at about 10-15mph then suddenly give it loads of throttle then back of for a spec then give it loads again. By doing this you will have un-weighted the front of the bike from the first quick rev, so when you do it again the front will lift.

Second : you can simply clutch it up as caines did.

My mission this summer will be to learn to wheely
Old 15-12-04, 09:35 AM   #7
Iansv

never managed one yet, altho i've rarely actually tried
Old 15-12-04, 10:28 AM   #8
steveo

First : you can be going along in first at about 10-15mph then suddenly give it loads of throttle then back of for a spec then give it loads again. By doing this you will have un-weighted the front of the bike from the first quick rev, so when you do it again the front will lift.

Being pretty much a beginner so this is way out of my league at the moment but out of curiosity how easy is it to flip the bike when doing this? I weigh about 14 stone and am 6ft 3 so whether that makes any difference i have no idea.

Cheers
Old 15-12-04, 10:33 AM   #9
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo

Being pretty much a beginner so this is way out of my league at the moment but out of curiosity how easy is it to flip the bike when doing this? I weigh about 14 stone and am 6ft 3 so whether that makes any difference i have no idea.

Cheers
Messing up the landing is easier to do than flipping the bike. If you feel uncomfortable with the height, you cut back on the throttle, easy.....

To put things in perspective. It's not as easy to flip and SV as, lets say, a R1 or Fireblade.
Old 15-12-04, 11:24 AM   #10
K

Hee hee, I've only ever done three wheelies in my life... and all of them were completely by accident. Either nervous, ****ed off or angry, I simply let the clutch out to fast whilst caneing it!

The best one was, well, to cut a long story short, up the road infront of our house with my Dad standing at the kitchin window.

Result of a perfect wheelie on a DT 125 = Me being kicked out of the house 3 days before Christmas!