SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-12-08, 08:00 PM   #1
Magnum

Default Oxford stormex?

Has anyone used this cover, is it the best on the market?

What size would be needed for an SV?
Old 07-12-08, 08:14 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oxford stormex?

Yep we've got one. Its very good. However the inside of it if it touches the tarmac can soak up water like a sponge. But otherwise I cant fault it. Always seems to score well in the Ride tests to.

I think ours is a medium, and it fits over my GSXR and Liz's Duke no problem as well as the SV.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 08:17 PM   #3
ridelikeaturtle

I think so. I've got the Stormex, the heavy black one, medium, on my curvy. It's awesome.

* it's waterproof, and not PVC-coated, so it doesn't crack in cold weather
* the elastic is tight enough that very strong winds don't blow it off
* the cotton inside does leave little fuzzies on every sharp edge of the bike, such as indicators and pillion pegs
* in heavy rain, water can collect at the front and rear wheels where the elastic pulls the cover to the wheels, so you need to be careful taking the cover off so that you let out any water here first, or you'll dump it all over the bike as you remove the cover
Old 07-12-08, 08:24 PM   #4
jumjum_0214

Me too great cover - Medium fits perfect!
Old 08-12-08, 12:04 PM   #5
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

+1, the medium fits perfectly over the SV and is soft enough inside not to scratch the bike and tough enough outside to keep the weather off.

Never used the clip to keep it on the bike yet, even in heavy winds.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 12:42 PM   #6
AndyL

It also has a clip thats fastens under the bike to stop it blowing away. It also has two slits at the back so that you cant fit your chain through it as well as through the wheel.
Old 08-12-08, 12:44 PM   #7
Stig

Also have one. Also think its a very good cover. The only thing I didn't like was the reflective flaps front and back. I'm trying to hide my bike not make it stand out.
Old 08-12-08, 12:45 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Whats been said isnt wrong. My cover is abotu 5 years old now and is still good. However, the water soaking up thing is becoming a pain, but its better than it being out in the open without a cover.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-08, 01:05 PM   #9
Ace-T

Dec 08 Ride Mag has a big article on bike covers. Their best buy is the R&G Superbike cover at £39.99 with a 21/21 rating. The Oxford Stormex gets a 12/21 and is significantly more expensive at £64.99 according to the mag.

Trace
Old 08-12-08, 01:13 PM   #10
Stig

I got mine for free as my neighbour at the time was moving into a house with garage.