SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Exhausts Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 08-06-08, 08:16 AM   #1
Rich G

Default Carbon exhausts?

Guys,

I've been thinking of a carbon fibre exhaust for my SV650S k3, probably a Beowulf Warrior. But two different shops have said that carbon exhausts don't have a lifetime guarantee because they only last a few years (3 years ish), due to heating and cooling of the material. Also that carbon exhausts don’t last well on V-twins (even 650s!), something to do with the power delivery. Has anyone any experience? Should I think again about carbon fibre?

Rich
Old 08-06-08, 02:22 PM   #2
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: Carbon exhausts?

i've had people steer me away from carbon cans for the sv because as it's a twin and you have more vibrations than an IL4 the carbon can be rattled apart more easily and therefore not last as long as a SS or aTi can.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 06:22 PM   #3
FG1

However, if you get a Scorpion which has been purchased for an SV it will have ceramic sleeving inside. This enables Scorpion to offer a lifetime guarantee on their carbon cans where everybody else offers 12 months.
Old 09-06-08, 05:31 PM   #4
Rich G

From the manufacturers:
Beowulf do not recommend carbon cans for V-Twins.
Scorpion say the cans for V-Twins have a different type of packing and an additional ceramic liner but 'may' suffer failure (unlikely) but if they do the original owner can have the can repaired under warranty.
Something to do with power delivery and short rear exhaust pipes transmitting heat.
Apparently "termagoni's" do fail on Ducatis
Old 22-07-08, 07:38 AM   #5
G
Mega Poster

What happens is the packing inside any exhaust gets blown out and knackered.

With carbon exhaust once the packing has blown out a certain amount the carbon heats up to much and the resin becomes knackered/discoloured and eventualy goes altogether.
Old 23-07-08, 08:30 AM   #6
ThEGr33k

The main reason is due to it having Big bangs and not small pussy ones, also them being less often and at odd timings causes the Carbon fibre to move a lot and so get damaged. Basically it gets blasted apart by the furious wrath of the V-twin Muha ha ha.