SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-04-06, 07:52 PM   #1
valleyboy

Default Servicing brakes...

Right, as I have been planning on doing it for a while, I am going to take my brakes appart this weekend....

a few questions for those that are in the know....

do I have to replace the dust seals or the fluid seals ?
Or can I get away with re-using the same ones ? as long as they are undamaged that is....

anything else I need to look out for?
Im giving myself two days to sort this out.. so should have enough time!

The calipers are pretty crudded up at the moment... are they supposed to be cleaned with brake fluid?

any advice ? cheers!!
Old 19-04-06, 09:41 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

New seals every time, new pistons if you can afford it, or they are damaged in any way (Do they all move when caliper is off the bike?)

Clean calipers with a stiff brush and brake cleaner
Scrape all the gunk out of the seal wells with cotton buds, tooth picks etc make sure that the calipers are clean, and that where the pistons and seals go, is spotless, brake fluid would be good and a can of air(or air line if you have one)

Other than that, i would add new bleed nipples if you want, but not a necacity(sp?)

Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-06, 06:23 AM   #3
valleyboy

I cant afford to replace all the seals... they are over a £5 a pop on my bike.. and theres 8 pistons on the front in total

There goes that idea!
Old 20-04-06, 06:45 AM   #4
Red ones
Mega Poster

I thought the seals on an SV were about £20 a set. I replace the seals about every 2 years
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-06, 07:15 AM   #5
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyboy

I cant afford to replace all the seals... they are over a £5 a pop on my bike.. and theres 8 pistons on the front in total

There goes that idea!
Viney is right when he says new seals. However, it is not a necessity. I have used the same seals twice now. So long as the seals are in good condition with no perishing or splits in them, you can re use them. It's obviously not the best practise but still OK to do so. Especially if you service your brakes as often as I do. Three times last year and already done them once this year. Would get extremely expensive then.
Old 20-04-06, 07:34 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
I thought the seals on an SV were about £20 a set. I replace the seals about every 2 years
He dont ride a SV, hes one of those wierdos 4 pot rider types...but then again, he is welsh!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-06, 05:25 PM   #7
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
He dont ride a SV, hes one of those wierdos 4 pot rider types...but then again, he is welsh!

Oh one of those funny bikes you have to rev like crazy to get to any decent speed, then have to pay a fortune to stop!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-06, 06:11 PM   #8
valleyboy

Yes.. One of them bikes Rev like mad.. goes like stink
where the pads on the front alone cost £80 could do all the pads on the SV for £60

Will try and re-use the same seals, and just order new ones for those that are done for...

cheers lads!
Old 20-04-06, 07:04 PM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyboy

There goes that idea!
Viney is right when he says new seals. However, it is not a necessity. I have used the same seals twice now. So long as the seals are in good condition with no perishing or splits in them, you can re use them. It's obviously not the best practise but still OK to do so. Especially if you service your brakes as often as I do. Three times last year and already done them once this year. Would get extremely expensive then.
Same here, mine have been serviced twice and they seem totaly fine, but then they are calipers from a K4 bike not a K2. I think you have my front ones.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-06, 10:36 AM   #10
xj/frosty

DO WOT?? To correctly service brakes Yup ya need to replace the seals. BUT to do a general tidy/clean up you dont need to.
Stuff you'll need is Clean brake fluid,compresssed air,rubber lube, 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper and a G clamp.
Pull one caliper off and pads out
Put the g clamp on one piston so it cant move and pump the brake lever a couple of times--The other piston will move out. You can clean off all the brake crud and corrosion off using water and the wet n dry paper.
Be generous with the water
blow all the crud away with compressed air. Smear the piston with rubberlube and push it back into place.
Repeat that for all 4 and the brakes will be heaps better.
I'm sure ya aint stupid but in case --Do not use oil anywhere near the brakes.