SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-08-05, 04:41 PM   #1
skidmarx

Default What do I need for Holland?

Can anyone tell me what I need? I'm going to Amsterdam for a couple of nights next week, taking the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry. Can you help me with the following?
1 Do I need a GB plate
2 Do I need any special headlight patches
3 What are the ferry companies like with regard to bikes? Do they strap it down? what about rough seas etc?
4 How is the driving in Holland
5 Do they drive on the right or left!!
6 are signs in English?
I've got AA recovery for £27 which aint too bad, my insurance co says I'm covered.......I'm sure I've forgotten something........HELP! Any advice esp routes or things to go see appreciated....ta
Old 12-08-05, 05:08 PM   #2
hall13uk

Default Re: What do I need for Holland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarx
Can anyone tell me what I need? I'm going to Amsterdam for a couple of nights next week, taking the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry. Can you help me with the following?
1 Do I need a GB plate
Quote:
not really, tho you can put a GB sticker on your plate if it makes you feel better
Quote:
un sure on this one i never stayed anylonger than a day in another country
3 What are the ferry companies like with regard to bikes? Do they strap it down? what about rough seas etc?
Quote:
yeah they will strap it down they are very good & it won't go anywhere even if its rough seas, you will most likey feel worse than the bike . i would say be very careful on entry & exit there is bare metal connecting ramps!!! which can be real slippery
Quote:
not too bad better than france but speed limts are pretty high compared with britian, but then where's not these days
Quote:
right
6 are signs in English?
Quote:
is that a joke hell no they are in dutch, get a large map on the ferry it gives clear names of places in the the native dialect & english so you should be fine
I've got AA recovery for £27 which aint too bad, my insurance co says I'm covered.......I'm sure I've forgotten something........HELP! Any advice esp routes or things to go see appreciated....ta

i hope all that helps. james
Old 12-08-05, 05:12 PM   #3
skidmarx

Thanks James that does indeed help, esp the bit about the ramps....I'll be sure not to get caught out with that one! I've been to Holland loads before and I'm sure I remember seeing some signs in english.......they all speak it.....maybe I was....er....imagining it....
Old 12-08-05, 05:16 PM   #4
hall13uk

Quote:
Thanks James that does indeed help, esp the bit about the ramps....I'll be sure not to get caught out with that one! I've been to Holland loads before and I'm sure I remember seeing some signs in english.......they all speak it.....maybe I was....er....imagining it....
maybe there are some english signs where you go, but when i went i saw none but i went quite far inland
Old 12-08-05, 05:23 PM   #5
lynw

Quote:
1 Do I need a GB plate
6 are signs in English?
1. AFAIK Yes.
2. Dont know
3. My ex used to travel frequently by bike between here and holland and never had any problems. I believe they will secure the bikes.
4. Not too bad ime though Im sure MavUK will disagree Though traffic in Amsterdam can be a pain
5. Right
6. Most are understandable. Amsterdam is pretty well signposted

Fave places in Amsterdam:
Arends Nest - brew their own beer... very nice... prinsengracht I believe. Theres a cool rock pub down near Rokin just round the corner from the cinema. Pool tables upstairs. The absinthe bar is... er.... an experience thats near Dam square cant remember the exact address - sorry

Loads of great places to eat. If you like fish theres a fish restaurant on Leidseplein [a couple of cool pubs there too - rock/blues pub on the Leidseplein and a belgium beer bar just round the corner.... damn, sorry cant remember its name for the moment... embarrassing how I forget the names of the good pubs... ]. Otherwise near museumplein and the Reichsmuseum is a nice pancake restaurant [Hansel & Gretel IIRC]. Really recommend the profijites [sp?].

Anyone offers you a doble zaut dropjes REFUSE unless you like really salty liquorice sweets.

Culture - LOADS of museums. Never did the sex museum but the torture museum was interesting. The Reichsmuseum was fabulous. Seeing those Dutch Masters paintings was awesome especially the size of them. Given I cant draw a circle I was blown away by how good they are. Didnt do the Anne Frank house either as it was always too busy but there are loads of places to go and see in the city. Theres a Heineken museum there too I believe

If you wanted to get out of 'dam then I can recommend Utrecht and the Zoo in Arnhem is an interesting place to visit. Bout an hour by train from Amsterdam.

HTH
Old 12-08-05, 05:31 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Don't forget to take some Rizzlas and an open mind.
Old 12-08-05, 05:35 PM   #7
hall13uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Don't forget to take some Rizzlas and an open mind.
i thought the open mind came after
Old 12-08-05, 07:30 PM   #8
snoopy

I've just come back from there...

Quote:
1 Do I need a GB plate

No.

No.

We had no problem. They have to be strapped down by law.

Good but not as good as the Germans whom IMHO are the best drivers.

The wrong side.

6 are signs in English?

Not usually.

E111
Old 12-08-05, 07:44 PM   #9
skidmarx

Wow thanks for that you all, sorted me right out. Biggest hassle so far has been finding somewhere with secure parking :roll: but that has really set my mind at rest. So far I need to remember:
GB plate
No headlight stuff
Know right from left
NO ZAUT in anything liquid
Lots of Arends Nest
Visit Leidseplein
E111
Metal ramps
Rizlas..........
Mmmmm.........
Anyone been to the bizzare villages that are set around the coast?
Old 12-08-05, 08:37 PM   #10
lynw

Oh and if you drink tea you'll need to ask for it strong or English tea. And for the milk. The dutch drink their tea with a 2 second introduction of tea bag to hot water and with no milk. Only children have milk in their tea.

lucky sod. wish I was going.

Didnt get up to the coast, usually ended up in Utrecht most times we went out.