SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-07-06, 04:17 PM   #1
K

Default Scolded for going out my own back door!

So I step out to feed by rabbits whose hutch is by the back door and come face to face with a tiny little male Wren perched on the top.

We both freeze, but instead of him then taking flight he starts angrily chattering at me and giving me a stern look.

He then hops up to the back gate and watches while I follow and see a little ball of a nest tucked up in the ivy where the gate post meets the wall. Four gaping yellow mouths stop squeeking and they all look at me.

I back slowly away and continue to feed the rabbits, and the brave little guy follows me to sit back on the hutch. He then proceeded to take a quick bath in an old dish that had colllected a bit of rain water, had a quick drink, one last, slightly less angry sounding chatter to me then off he goes down the garden.

That was just so cool.

Then as I'm typing this (my computer's in the kitchen and I've got the back door open by the way) there's this tapping. I look over and there's a young Blackbird whose hopped up the back steps and in through the door! He's gainfully picking off a couple of moths who were hiding down by the skirting board.

Beak full of bugs and off he flies back down the garden. I know they are nesting in the conifers there.

I guess it pays not to have cats and to always have seed n water in my garden all year for the birds.

Ey up, the little wren babies are squeeking again. I suddenly feel all protective over my garden now.
Old 12-07-06, 04:22 PM   #2
Peter Henry

You din't have a catapult handy then?....What?
Old 12-07-06, 04:25 PM   #3
Ping

Aaawww, that's so kewl.
Old 12-07-06, 04:30 PM   #4
falc

Best watch out for cats then, thats pretty cool though we have little robins and the like nesting around the house
Old 12-07-06, 04:41 PM   #5
kitten

awwww its easy to forget all the nature stuff when its not sort of in your face, we dont have a garden as yet so I miss all that,
but anyway one day... sigh
Old 12-07-06, 04:50 PM   #6
Anonymous

Those little birdy things are quite pretty and mildly entertaining, but you would think that evolution would have created in them an understanding of the need for diapers and/or toilet tissue and not KEEP CRA99ING ON MY CAR!!
Old 12-07-06, 04:51 PM   #7
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Ockx
Those little birdy things are quite pretty and mildly entertaining, but you would think that evolution would have created in them an understanding of the need for diapers and/or toilet tissue and not KEEP CRA99ING ON MY CAR!!
Sorry fella, but I'd rather have'em doing on it your car than on my bike's seat!
Old 12-07-06, 05:12 PM   #8
JUICY LUCY

Aw that's so cute. I wuv cugly, fwuffy, furry animoos
Old 12-07-06, 05:32 PM   #9
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by falc
Best watch out for cats then, thats pretty cool though we have little robins and the like nesting around the house
Cats, there's about five or six round about us, but they know better than to come into my back garden.

Between me and the dog we've taught them it's a dangerous place for cats. I'm a good shot with a supersoaker and he can actually climb half way up our apple tree - certainly gave a few cats a bit of a shock when they thought they could taunt him from there!

I may look into putting up some nest boxes for spring next year.

That and they could really do with a proper bird bath - I hardly ever use the barbeque so whenever it rains they get to use that until it dries up!
Old 12-07-06, 05:33 PM   #10
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICY LUCY
Aw that's so cute. I wuv cugly, fwuffy, furry animoos
I'm sorry Lucy, you appear to have developed some strange kind of speech impediment. Could you possibly repeat last message in English? :P