SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SELKENT A forum for the folks down in Kent and SE London.

Old 11-04-08, 11:07 PM   #1
Benn

Default Newbie says Hi!

Hi,

I'm Benn and live in Tunbridge Wells. I currently don't own an SV, but I am looking hard for one at the moment, unfortunately it is taking me a little longer to get the money together as I am looking at Secondhand stuff in dealers, which I know is overpriced, but as I am a bit clueless about what to look for in a secondhand bike, so nervous about buying a bad bike, and my friends are no help either!

Anyway, I just thought I would say hello and hopefully I will be back on here with an SV soon!

Cheers

Benn
Old 12-04-08, 06:37 AM   #2
Bear

Default Re: Newbie says Hi!

Wotcha Benn. I know a few folks in the Soho massive have bikes that may be for sale at the mo, try Teriyakimonkey (call him Teri, he likes that...) and Mr Anderson have bikes which may be going soon, or I think Law is selling his over in Guildford. What's your budget and what are you looking for?

If anyone tells you I'm a deviant, it's just because they don't understand me...
Old 12-04-08, 06:47 AM   #3
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Welcome Mate......as Bear has said there are a few up for sale at the moment......depends what you want.....there is a great curvy here.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 08:30 AM   #4
DoubleD

Hi Benn and welcome to the .org

you need to get yourself over to the For Sale section there has been quite a few bike up for sale to suit most budgets in there.

Happy SV hunting
Old 12-04-08, 09:40 AM   #5
Benn

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome! With regard to what I am looking for... I have a budget of around £1500 - £2000 cash wise, but if I went for a dealer model then I could go a bit higher as I can stick some of it on a credit card! Oh, and I would like an 'S'. I don't mind whether its a curvy or pointy one, but obviously the more I can get for my money the better!

I have been looking at a couple in a dealer in Tonbridge near me (Sturdeys) and they currently have a V reg Red curvy with ~12,000 miles on it for £2200, and a 53 reg Copper pointy one with 29,000 miles on it for £2400. Both look nice bikes, but do you think they are overpriced?

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the For Sale section too, I had a good look on there last night and saw some very nice bikes, but none that were in my price range and close enough to me. Quiffs bike looks good, but Stoke is too far from me really...

Benn
Old 14-04-08, 07:29 AM   #6
chutz

Hi Ben, I'm also in tunbridge wells so maybe I'll see you around. I'd say the bikes at Sturdeys are overpriced but I always think that about dealer prices. I may have a mate who is selling his pointy s (55 plate I think) and lives in t wells too. I will ask him next week.

Welcome to the site
Old 16-04-08, 11:07 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome! With regard to what I am looking for... I have a budget of around £1500 - £2000 cash wise, but if I went for a dealer model then I could go a bit higher as I can stick some of it on a credit card! Oh, and I would like an 'S'. I don't mind whether its a curvy or pointy one, but obviously the more I can get for my money the better!

I have been looking at a couple in a dealer in Tonbridge near me (Sturdeys) and they currently have a V reg Red curvy with ~12,000 miles on it for £2200, and a 53 reg Copper pointy one with 29,000 miles on it for £2400. Both look nice bikes, but do you think they are overpriced?

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the For Sale section too, I had a good look on there last night and saw some very nice bikes, but none that were in my price range and close enough to me. Quiffs bike looks good, but Stoke is too far from me really...

Benn
1st off, Welcome Benn with two ens

They seem a tad over priced, but about £500. A V plate for that money is shameful and wishful thinking.

You should be able to get something a lot newer for £2k I would shop around, and as said, tehre are plenty of secondhand SV's knocking aorund on these pages. Just don't buy mine!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-08, 11:52 AM   #8
wow

Hi and welcome. I went to Sturdeys about 4-6 weeks ago. There was a copper SV650S coming in then. So they might have had it for a while. Just offer something ridiculous (cash) and see what they say. You don't know till you've tried. Finns is not too far away from you either. If you're not already looking on www.autotrader.co.uk have a look there.

Edit: this one looks good.
http://www.aardvarkmotorcycles.co.uk...m470dd9728dd71

Last edited by wow; 16-04-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 17-04-08, 11:37 AM   #9
Benn

Chutz, thanks for letting me know about Sturdey's prices, I will keep on looking unless they have a major rethink and drop their prices right down I guess I won't be buying from them. I was a little surprised to look at private prices and discover them to be a lot lower than I had expected. I'll also have to keep an eye on the roads when I am driving / riding round town for you, it will be good to meet other bikers.
If your friend is selling his SV then I would be interested in having a look, but a 55 plate may well be above my price range.

Viney, thanks for the hello and advice, and just out of curiosity… why shouldn't I buy your bike?

Wow, that SV at Aardvark looks nice, thanks for pointing me in their direction, I haven't heard of them before, so definitely take a wander down there one Saturday to have a look at what they have in there, and the price seems much nicer too! I think the copper 650 in Sturdeys must be the same one they have had for a while, they still haven't cleaned it up yet either so I guess that could give me some bartering potential…
Old 17-04-08, 02:36 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn View Post
Viney, thanks for the hello and advice, and just out of curiosity… why shouldn't I buy your bike?
Becaue A) its not for sale B) Its a shed c) its done over 55000 miles d) the gearbox is shagged and so is the clutch.

On the upside its ultra reliable and to date other than 2 rectifiers, never let me down and im gonn miss her when i have to start commuting by train
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote