SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Is the hunting ban a good thing
Yes 32 46.38%
No 29 42.03%
I don't care 8 11.59%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-02-05, 10:29 PM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Hunting Ban - A good thing or not

Is the hunting ban a good thing or not

I think its a good thing, Yes I appreciate that foxes and such like need to be controlled but I think there are more human ways of doing it

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-05, 10:36 PM   #2
BURNER

Like the way we raise animals for food, pumped with drugs to stimulate growth, starved of space and daylight?

We humans are killers. Bloodsport is in the blood. It also keeps the toffs busy and out of the shopping centres on the weekend you know what they're like.
Old 17-02-05, 10:44 PM   #3
Gforceuk

we should start hunting down the toffs... and who ever gets the kill gets to keep part of their estate
Old 17-02-05, 10:45 PM   #4
Ash999

Its tradition, keeping fox numbers down that reak havock on farms killing lambs, chickens, etc. I live out in the country and yeah it gives the toffs something to do. If ya think about it thousands of dogs will be put down as they cannot be kept as domestic pets. Weve been hunting hundreds of years, why stop it now?
Old 17-02-05, 10:47 PM   #5
jonboy

Next year the US military want to spend $275bn. This worries me. Fox hunting doesn't.

Old 17-02-05, 10:52 PM   #6
Patch

Bad news, bad law fuelled by a popularist government. The lunatics have taken over the asylum, now they have got away with banning this what do you think will be next?? I'll tell you what it will be whatever they think will win the most votes.

If they suggested banning M/bikes my mum would vote for them your liberty is at risk with Tony BLiar in power vote to get him out in May
Old 17-02-05, 11:05 PM   #7
Jabba

This is just one item in a string of bad law. Is it really that important? Or police are overstretched as it is. How will this be enforced? We're going to end up with hunt-sabateurs giving "evidence" for the prosecution. How unsafe is that?

I agree with Patch 100%. And jonboy has hit the nail on the head.

Why now?
Old 17-02-05, 11:13 PM   #8
BillyC
Mega Poster

Okay... I'm about to have a little speak-my-mind rant, take it or leave it, they're just my collected thoughts....

I've thought long and hard about this over the past few years, and if I'm honest I thought a ban would be inevitable, however rediculous and hippocritic the reasons.

I can't help but feel that the drive behind the ban has not been for the animal rights reasons, but for the class and stereotypes of those associated with the activity.

If animal rights were really an issue, there are thousands of more effective areas that could/should have come under legislation; not to mention government attention. If hunting is inhumane, then why limit it to just hunting foxes with dogs?

I don't think I was for or against the hunting; but I am for country ways of life, of which, I feel this is one. What I am against, is the application and invention of law just because of opinion and political correctness. Police state?

Because of that, I think the ban is a bad thing. We should now ban cattle, sheep and pig farming. Fishing with nets and rods. Hare coursing. Pheasant shooting. Some of these are also considered sports, but are unaffected by the ban. Suffering to the animals is inevitable ... ever walked your dog past an abatoir? They can smell the death.

We've not solved any problems here, in fact, we've created new ones. Foxes will still need to be controlled. Instead they will be hunted with rifles that are unlikely to kill from a distance, leaving the animal to die slowly and rot. Consequently, the fox populations will rise... and they will need to feed. Few have seen the devastation caused by a single fox who managed to get into a chicken coup.
Old 17-02-05, 11:29 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I voted no, not necessarily because I agree with hunting, but simply because this is a nasty spiteful piece of legislation that, as Bill says, has absolutely nothing to do with animal rights or encouraging humane methods of pest control.
It's another outward manifestation of flawed politics driven by ideaology, not facts or evidence.
And as pointed out, it could be your activity next, be worried.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-05, 01:03 AM   #10
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Next year the US military want to spend $275bn. This worries me. Fox hunting doesn't..
This was pretty much my point.
It is an issue, but there are much bigger issues that need sorting first.