SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-08, 10:37 AM   #1
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Smile Bike 2 Bike Comms

The husband has finally traded in the silly scooter for a proper bike - well a BMW Dakar anyway - so now we are planning some longer runs. But as he's got all the sense of direction of a potato it would be helpful to have a bike to bike comms system (so I can tell him when he's just missed the turn off again!)

I phoned Maplin Electronics as they sell a walkie talkie system that adapts for bikes and I thought I could nip down there and have a try in store. The shop assistant helpfully told me that they are rubbish and not to bother buying one - bet he won salesman of the year award this year.

Anyone got one? Any worth buying or avoiding?
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-08, 10:45 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike 2 Bike Comms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
The husband has finally traded in the silly scooter for a proper bike - well a BMW Dakar anyway - so now we are planning some longer runs. But as he's got all the sense of direction of a potato it would be helpful to have a bike to bike comms system (so I can tell him when he's just missed the turn off again!)

I phoned Maplin Electronics as they sell a walkie talkie system that adapts for bikes and I thought I could nip down there and have a try in store. The shop assistant helpfully told me that they are rubbish and not to bother buying one - bet he won salesman of the year award this year.

Anyone got one? Any worth buying or avoiding?
Actually I would give him that award for that advice - like the guy in the mobile shop that advised me that although I COULD get an upgrade now, if I waited until I was a month out of contract I would be able to negotiate and get a better deal - and he was right.

Ok so his sales figures are not so good, but his "peed off because the POS didnt work" customer count is MUCH lower

Oh and I cant help with the Comms idea I am afraid

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-08, 10:55 AM   #3
Grinch

I'd get a bluetooth set if I was you, nice and easy to install. It used to be all radios and mics before but I think bluetooth is going to be easier if it rider to pillion. Easy to fit and easy to take off and wear with the helmet.
If your going bike to bike then radios is what you need, Vixen do some nice kit, as I have set myself. The Oxford bike bike mic is rubbish, it just can handle high usage, had 2 fail within weeks of each other, cheap and nasty.
Old 17-09-08, 10:59 AM   #4
hedgehog

I got a set from Lidl last week, have used them bike to bike and so far seem great! They don't do them all the time but def worth keeping an eye out for!

Old 17-09-08, 11:27 AM   #5
custard

avoid the oxford bike mike like it were the devils jockstrap. mine lasted about an hour...

me and the other half have invested in two of the autocom active rider 200 kits and so far cant fault them. unfortunatly the same cant be said for the dealer who managed to send us some incorrect parts...

autocom seem to be the business but they aint cheap. whatever you i would suggest going for kit specifically designed for the task and not just get radios with headsets cobbled together.
Old 17-09-08, 11:36 AM   #6
Sosha

Thumping the appropriate shoulder b4 a turn also works pretty good...
Old 17-09-08, 02:45 PM   #7
Essex of Essex

Autocom, they have a half price sale at the moment drops the simplest kit to about £75 to which you have to add the radios.
Old 17-09-08, 04:31 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Autocom are by far the best on the market.
Old 28-09-08, 07:08 PM   #9
TheStudent

Don't wanna hi-jack but I have just bought the Autocom 300 Duo kit for chatting to the Mrs on the back, on the process of fitting it atm. I'm curious how the helmet to helmet communication works, is it permanently on, or voice activated?

Also, has anyone connected their phone to their Autocom kit, how did you do it and how does it work etc?

Thanks, Tom.
Old 28-09-08, 07:14 PM   #10
Essex of Essex

On my kit the intercom is voice activated, phones plug into a lead or a blutooth unit is available, phone reception is such that people don't realise you are on the bike.