SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-02-12, 05:38 PM   #1
embee
Mega Poster

Default Sorry folks, another "what PC" thread

Apologies in advance.

Don't need to go into great detail, but anyone suggest a desktop PC source/make? Obviously there's the big players (Dell etc), but where else?

I don't do gaming, but a little bit of photo/video stuff and general office/home duties, so nothing special required. I was thinking 23/24 screen size, happy to get screen separately (already looked into screens, familiar with types and pros/cons).

My old PC is getting on in years, a few issues cropping up, and it's the end of a decent tax year so may as well make use of the allowances. Not wanting expensive, but a few hundred available. Happy to save a bit with wired peripherals, keyboard/mouse etc., it's fixed at the desk.

Don't want the hassle of building etc, just order it and plug&play for me. All suggestions welcomed.
Old 13-02-12, 06:07 PM   #2
Scythe92

Overclockers.co.uk do a good selection of built systems.

I built my girlfriend a system for £350 which she is very happy with for general tasks. It has an i3 processor, 8GB of ram (overkill but the difference in 4 and 8 is about £15 so you'd be stupid not to) and integrated graphics, and a 500gb HD.

You should look for about this spec. You should be able to get it built for about £500 incl. monitor.

How much are you willing to spend?
Old 13-02-12, 06:12 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sorry folks, another "what PC" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe92 View Post
Overclockers.co.uk do a good selection of built systems.

I built my girlfriend a system for £350 which she is very happy with for general tasks. It has an i3 processor, 8GB of ram (overkill but the difference in 4 and 8 is about £15 so you'd be stupid not to) and integrated graphics, and a 500gb HD.

You should look for about this spec. You should be able to get it built for about £500 incl. monitor.

How much are you willing to spend?
You mean Overchargers.co.uk?

Just go Dell, my dads been doing that for years and any problems he has had were fixed quickly and with no hassle.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-12, 08:18 PM   #4
ravingdavis

I would recommend Dell too, good solid machines. Had half a dozen laptops off them in the past and all bar a hard drive and some squeaky screen hinges they still work. I would guess their desktop PCs are just as sound.
Old 13-02-12, 08:38 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

overclockers are expensive, i'd be looking at scan; although not the cheapest they regularly have good deals on solid machines.

Not sure I'd buy a branded pc for myself personally (unless it was a real bargain), I'm not a fan of Dell but certainly wouldn't say it'd be a bad choice
Old 13-02-12, 08:44 PM   #6
TheRamJam
Mega Poster

Try Aria or Scan they do really good systems and know their stuff.

Buy a copy of Custom PC and see what deals are in there too

I know you mentioned you don't want the hassle of building one but its not difficult and wouldn't take more than and hour to knock up a simple system from scratch plus you may be able to save some pounds....
Yamaha MT 10 - Sold

Current Bike: Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory
TheRamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-12, 11:00 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I think you'd struggle to do owt bespoke for less than an off the shelf dell etc.

And for a general use PC, why bother, the clunkiest 1600 AMD with 256 ram in it still runs general sh*te fine...
Old 14-02-12, 12:37 PM   #8
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

If you want to buy the tower unit complete and already have the monitor/keyboard etc. you could always try the Dell Outlet Store http://www.dell.com/uk/dfh/p/?~ck=bt

Some good deals on notebooks and all-in-ones in there too depending on what is in stock.
Old 14-02-12, 05:23 PM   #9
L3nny
Mega Poster

This will do everything you want, it wont use much power and they look pretty cool.

No DVD drive though so you'd have to buy a USB one if you need one. Oh and you'll have to buy a monitor as well.
Old 14-02-12, 06:19 PM   #10
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
This will do everything you want, it wont use much power and they look pretty cool.

No DVD drive though so you'd have to buy a USB one if you need one. Oh and you'll have to buy a monitor as well.
And velcro it to the back of your monitor.