SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-08-07, 07:37 PM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default my brain is starting to hurt (Sorry geeky)

Well I have been coding in Java for about 10 years, but today I have decided I need to alter the version of wget we use on our monitoring systems to be able to target members of clusters, ie we need to pass the ip address of the cluster member to wget as by default it will simply use dns and could hit any cluster member.

So what a culture shock going back to writing in C.

So far dusted off my copies of Stevens "unix network programming" and knew I was in trouble when I had to go hunting for a copy of K&R. Boy I thought I used to know all this. How quickly you forget.

Now all I have to now remember is how to run GDB. and its graphical front end. No wonder I am now sat with a pint in front of me.

Worse still using a pc to a samba share for all of this as I cannot be bothered to remember vi. I know I am going to end up sat at one of my linux boxes to do all of this.

ouch, my head hurts. OK tonight it is the quiz over the road, but the b'stards are penalising me with a -5 start just because I won last week, and the week before. No entry fee, but 8 pints to the winner makes it worthwhile