SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-12-05, 09:19 AM   #1
Dirty Baz

Default Problem - jerky bars this morning

Morning folks,

setting off for work this morning and I notice that the bars are quite jerky, it almost felt as if the bike was going over a tiny bump in the road every second causing the bars to 'twitch' back and forth.

I pulled off the main road into an industrial estate and on a nice straight, flat, new road. I put the bike in neutral and coasted at about 20mph, hands off the bars and there is a visable twitching of the bars.

I got off and checked brakes, discs, bolts, basically everything on the front end and nothing looks out of place.

Anyway, I rode into work and this continued on off the whole 10 miles.

My hunch is one of the brake pistons (feels like the right) is not going back into the caliper body causing the pad to bind worse than ever and therefore cause the bars to twitch to the side with every rotation.

I'm going to clean the brakes up this week end but has anyone had a similar problem that could offer some advise (and reassurance!!!)

Cheers.
Old 01-12-05, 09:20 AM   #2
hall13uk

have u checked you tyre pressures
Old 01-12-05, 09:32 AM   #3
Dirty Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk
erm...........not for a couple of weeks.

please don't tell me that's all it is!!!

<pulls on dunce hat and stands in the corner>
Old 01-12-05, 10:29 AM   #4
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk
erm...........not for a couple of weeks.

please don't tell me that's all it is!!!

<pulls on dunce hat and stands in the corner>
hall may well be right. I don't think a binding brake will cause wobble like that.
Old 01-12-05, 10:36 AM   #5
skidmarx

sounds like a dodgy front tyre. I'd check it out really carefully for bulges and the likes before I got back on it esp if you've ridden it over a few kerbs. I've had similar in the car once, slight twitch in the wheel which gave way to a bloody great wobble over 60....the front tyre was almost coming apart as the carcass had given way. very dodgy.
Old 01-12-05, 01:32 PM   #6
Dirty Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarx
sounds like a dodgy front tyre. I'd check it out really carefully for bulges and the likes before I got back on it esp if you've ridden it over a few kerbs. I've had similar in the car once, slight twitch in the wheel which gave way to a bloody great wobble over 60....the front tyre was almost coming apart as the carcass had given way. very dodgy.
I bump up the kerb every morning in the work's car park!!!

I'll check for bulges ASAP. Although it looked ok when I inspected this morning. I only just got rid of a perfectly good Dunlop for a Conti front too.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-12-05, 01:37 PM   #7
jonboy

Too much alcohol the night before?

Old 01-12-05, 02:00 PM   #8
iprideaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz
I bump up the kerb every morning in the work's car park!!!
A notch in the head bearings?
Get the front wheel off the ground and move the bars from lock to lock and see if you can feel it go snick in the middle.
Old 01-12-05, 02:01 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I'd check the tyre first, could be as simple as something stuck in the tread, stranger things have happened.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 02:02 PM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Just a thought have you lost a wheel weight of the front wheel, would a missing wheel weight / out of balance front wheel give the symptoms you describe ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote