SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-02-13, 11:14 PM   #1
SvNewbie

Talking New SV650s

I passed my test last Thursday and this Saturday I put a deposit down on a pre-registered 0 mile SV650s in white with the blue stripe. The dealer has fitted the OEM lowers fairings (I know how much everyone wants these!).

Can't wait to get everything sorted and make it my own! Only got a chance to sit on it as they didn't have a demonstrator but it felt really well proportioned compared to the CBR600F I tested a few days before. Which by comparison felt a little awkward, the mirrors too far away and the fairing added as an after-thought (great looking bike from any other angle except on top of it, sweet gearbox and awesome engine!).
Old 12-02-13, 12:16 AM   #2
Skybaba

That's MINT!!!
How soon are you getting it?

Congrats on the test!
Old 12-02-13, 12:29 AM   #3
SvNewbie

Default Re: New SV650s

Waiting on my works Motorcycle loan scheme to write the cheque and then up to 10 days for it to clear

Still, good things come to those who wait. Gives me time to cry myself to sleep about how much the insurance is going to cost me!
Old 12-02-13, 12:45 AM   #4
lordra

How old are you? I'm 25 and it cost me £450 with the whole load of mods. Just follow the tips at Money Saving Expert and whittle the cost down as much as you can. It will take a lot of time, but its worth it.
Mine came down to £450 from £850 after shopping around and applying those tricks on the site. Link is here:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/
Old 12-02-13, 01:57 AM   #5
SvNewbie

I'm 27, no accidents, no points, car licence for 10 years. Everything else is pretty dreadful as far as insurance is concerned. New bike licence, living in London and the bike is going to be kept outside. Honestly if I can get insurance on the happy side of £1000 I'll be delighted!
Old 12-02-13, 08:05 AM   #6
Skybaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
Waiting on my works Motorcycle loan scheme to write the cheque and then up to 10 days for it to clear

Still, good things come to those who wait. Gives me time to cry myself to sleep about how much the insurance is going to cost me!
Ha ha, that can be painful

My bike was en-route to my place while I was heading back home after passing my test so I didn't have to wait that long........probably an hour; but my, it felt like a lifetime

All the best matey!
Old 12-02-13, 08:33 AM   #7
Geodude
Mega Poster

Welldone on passing your test and welcome to the org. Ride safe and above all have fun

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 08:39 AM   #8
WeegieBlue

Congrats on the bike test and the excellent choice of bike too! Have fun on the forum!
Old 12-02-13, 08:47 AM   #9
Runako

Congrats! I know what its like to have it new and the feeling of being the only person to do anything and everything to it. A bit of a downside is the breaking in. Most frustrating experience ever and perhaps why some people chose not to buy 0 miles. Having broken mine in I'm happy I did buy it, but there were times (especially on the motorway) when I almost regretted it.

Also, the manual says to break in one way, every man and his dog says to break in another way. The reality is you only have one go at it so do some research in the meantime before you get your bike, it might make the process easier.

Last bit of friendly advice I'd give is to get to know the bike as much as possible. Even though its 0 miles doesn't mean its perfect out the box. There are things you can change straightaway (I'm sure you're already planning to anyway) but particularly prior to and at the 1st service - 600 miles - I got the impression that they (dealer/garage) do very little for the cost. Should be no problems if its broken in properly anyway but, still, its good to know your way around so you can check yourself if so inclined. My bike was sat around for a little while so there were little things that should have been checked that weren't, like the battery prior to delivery!

Anyway, welcome, good luck with it and enjoy immensly
Old 12-02-13, 09:02 AM   #10
Pete7

Looks like white is this years colour, bike looks very nice

Just adding to what Runako said, get the dealer to add some crash bungs. There are some tearfull vids on You Tube of peeps dropping brand new bikes as they ride out of the show room. Mate dropped his new Triumph doing just that, tarmac made a right mess of the fairings and it wrecked his day.

Pete