SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 30-12-13, 11:23 AM   #1
Brettus

Default Light Painting Thread

I'm trying to make an effort to do more nocotography at the moment and light painting is a big part of that. To be honest, light painting feels like cheating at photography, you start the camera in the dark, wave some lights about in front of it, stop the shutter and you have an interesting looking image.

Instead of just showing off the results that are easier to get than you might imagine I thought I'd document some of the behind the scenes stuff as I'm in the process of receiving a load of new stuff from eBay which I'll use as lightpainting tools.

The first delivery was some bare LEDs I got some green ones and some colour changing ones.

Today I received:

Some battery powered Christmas lights and some colour changing torches.
The Christmas lights will become an orb painting tool for creating floating orbs like this:

Dual colour orb by Brettus - Brettnet.co.uk, on Flickr

I'll take some pictures as I go along with making it.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"

Last edited by Brettus; 30-12-13 at 11:25 AM.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-13, 11:27 AM   #2
Brettus

Forgot, last week I received some more steel wool

Cheap and cheerful but when placed in a whisk or in my case a wire egg cup and set alight with a 9V battery it creates a spectacular effect for very little effort.

IMG_3310.jpg by iBrettnet, on Flickr

If you contain it in a shape it looks neat too:

IMG_3315.jpg by iBrettnet, on Flickr

I'll take a picture later of my holder for this but it literally is a wire egg cup on a length of paracord.
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:

Last edited by Brettus; 30-12-13 at 11:30 AM.
Old 30-12-13, 01:38 PM   #3
Brettus

More goodies turned up at home, just testing the first one out:

I'd rather know now if they are junk or for dry weather only at least.
Quote:
Old 30-12-13, 04:13 PM   #4
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Re: Light Painting Thread

I'm getting not this too. Got some cheap Xmas LEDs battery powered, a couple of old torches, a bike light and so on. Just been practising for now, waiting for some better weather to play out.

Have you seen http://www.michaelbosanko.com/

Very cool photos!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-13, 04:18 PM   #5
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I'm also in the process of upgrading my lens for this and starlight pics. Selling my 18-200 Canon, chopping it in for http://www.tokinalens.com/tokina/pro...atx116prodxii/ which is sharper than a sharp thing on broken glass!

Have a look at http://www.mauriziopignotti.com/ for simply the best starlight photos!

Pete
Old 30-12-13, 06:57 PM   #6
Brettus

Both very nice links! The light painting one requires some artistic skill which I just don't have I did well enough to write my initials on one of them recently LOL

This is more my intended level: http://www.flickr.com/photos/light_painter/

I just picked up that very lens BP so if you want to give it a try on your kit I'm game for a meet up photo shoot sometime. You might've already tried it or decided but just mentioning

I've got a few ideas but one imminent for a star trails shot, I just need the right conditions and timing at home so I can escape for a couple of hours.

The torch in the glass kept going for 30 minutes so I took it out and called that good enough for 99p
Quote:
Old 30-12-13, 07:14 PM   #7
Bluepete
Mega Poster

I've been scouting some ruined mills. Found a few, the plan is star trails over the mill and some light painting too.

How do you rate the Tokina?

Pete
Old 30-12-13, 07:22 PM   #8
Brettus

Ooh nice re mills, sounds like we have similar ideas, mines a castle. will be interesting to see the results.

I really quite like it, really wide even on a crop sensor, the F2.8 means it can get quite a bit of light pretty quickly but also doesn't make it too shallow DOF for star stuff which I worried it would. I've not done many sharpness tests, I've had a couple that've been blurry but I think that was just focusing error heh. The fact it takes 77mm filters is cool too, I'd looked at the Sigma 8-16mm I think it was but it was tricky to bodge filters onto.
Quote:
Old 31-12-13, 10:41 AM   #9
ClunkintheUK

I have a challenge for you Brettus (or anyone else who wants to give it a try). I don't really have much idea how you would do it either.

Some how light up the strings on a guitar (bass guitar might be more spectacular with thicker strings) and get a shot of them being played. Even better if you can get them on a harmonic.
Old 31-12-13, 11:01 AM   #10
Brettus

Hmm, interesting idea, I'll ponder and see if I can find someone with any kind of guitar to try on first, seen a magazine article that featured one once.
Also reminded me of this:
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Quote: