SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-01-08, 09:49 AM   #1
Ol Boc

Default Racist slurs

I see that Harbhajan Singh has been banned for three matches after he called the Australian cricketer Andrew Symonds a "monkey" - deemed as a racist slur.

So if anyone calls me a Northern Monkey ever again, they are in trouble...particularly if they are shandy-swilling Southern puffs. Or Australians. Who are similar.

Last edited by Ol Boc; 11-01-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: I missed off a full stop. Tch, tch. What a monkey I am
  Reply With Quote Received Warning
Old 11-01-08, 09:51 AM   #2
Lozzo

Default Re: Racist slurs

I'm not a racist, the ACU won't give me a licence.
Old 11-01-08, 10:05 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

But Paul. You are a southern shandy swiller. As for being a puff, that is your choice mate. Why would anyone ever confuse you with being a well ard northern type
Old 11-01-08, 10:13 AM   #4
arenalife

Wasn't there someone (Scottish?) complaining the other day that making fun of red hair was racist?
Old 11-01-08, 10:29 AM   #5
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Boc View Post
I see that Harbhajan Singh has been banned for three matches after he called the Australian cricketer Andrew Symonds a "monkey" - deemed as a racist slur

So if anyone calls me a Northern Monkey ever again, they are in trouble...particularly if they are shandy-swilling Southern puffs. Or Australians. Who are similar.
But are you black?

I think any black person would be right to feel offended if called a Monkey and i think this thread is in very poor taste if your are supporting calling balck people monkeys, or maoning about the fact that they get offended by such a remark.

i hope i have misunderstood your point here, so please clarify before i ask for this thread to be deleted.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 10:37 AM   #6
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
But are you black?

I think any black person would be right to feel offended if called a Monkey and i think this thread is in very poor taste if your are supporting calling balck people monkeys, or maoning about the fact that they get offended by such a remark.

i hope i have misunderstood your point here, so please clarify before i ask for this thread to be deleted.
+1

but i dont really see the relevance of him being black or not.
Old 11-01-08, 10:39 AM   #7
$tevo

I called my best mate's grandson a little monkey cuz of his antics and got into a stupid argument because the little lad's dad was black.
Old 11-01-08, 10:40 AM   #8
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Chill pill old chap.
Ol Boc is making a joke about the old north south divide.A cultural thing and nothing racist unless you really really want it to be.

BTW.I object to the Scots jumping on the red hair bandwagon.They are always sticking their noses into Irish issues.
Old 11-01-08, 10:41 AM   #9
pencil shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Chill pill old chap.
Ol Boc is making a joke about the old north south divide.A cultural thing and nothing racist unless you really really want it to be.

BTW.I object to the Scots jumping on the red hair bandwagon.They are always sticking their noses into Irish issues.
thats fair enough, but where the relevance in someone being called a northen monkey, or a black person being called a money in a rasist way. they arent really the same.
Old 11-01-08, 10:47 AM   #10
FG1

This was discussed on "the Wright Stuff".
Denise Williams was asked if she would be offended if she was (innocently) called a "cheeky monkey".
Her response was that she would be looking into the eyes of who said it to see if there was any malice involved.
This, unfortunately, supported my suspicions that an innocent comment can be made but, due to the behaviour of the recipient, it could be classed as racist.
Surely, a comment should be taken in the context of the originator and not the recipient.
I feel very strongly about the whole racism legislation and feel that the law is in support of how somebody percieves the comment and not, as it should be, how the comment was intended.
Political correctness is a FARCE..........................