SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-05-06, 06:36 PM   #1
xlewdx

Default Help.....idiot at work!

Okay here goes. I'm the proud new owner of a naked curvy SV650 and love it, however. I've just replaced the levers as the previous owner, god bless her was colour blind. Brake lever went on no problem. Clutch went on no problem. Problem only came when I went to start the engine. NOTHING!!!! Messed about with it for ages adjusting the clutch and swearing fluently. The best I've got is pulling in clutch, press the starter and then quickly engaging the clutch and disengaging it and hey presto it fires up. How do I sort it so I don't have to p**s about with the clutch lever every time. PLease help this mechanical idiot before the wife puts me out of my misery. Cheers folks.
Old 09-05-06, 07:02 PM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Help.....idiot at work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlewdx
Okay here goes. I'm the proud new owner of a naked curvy SV650 and love it, however. I've just replaced the levers as the previous owner, god bless her was colour blind. Brake lever went on no problem. Clutch went on no problem. Problem only came when I went to start the engine. NOTHING!!!! Messed about with it for ages adjusting the clutch and swearing fluently. The best I've got is pulling in clutch, press the starter and then quickly engaging the clutch and disengaging it and hey presto it fires up. How do I sort it so I don't have to p**s about with the clutch lever every time. PLease help this mechanical idiot before the wife puts me out of my misery. Cheers folks.
That my friend is a safety thing Suzuki installed. There is a little switch on the clutch leaver housing so you have to have the clutch in to start it.

I found it annoying as hell too, so I actually overrode mine by removing the two wires that go to the leaver handlebar clamp and ‘shorting’ them out (cut them and twisted the bare wires together, then taped up). Now as far as the bike is concerned it thinks the leaver is pulled in al the time.

Like I said it is a safety feature, so nothing wrong with your bike. If you want to override it then do as I did and you are away
Old 09-05-06, 07:04 PM   #3
Speedy
Mega Poster

Have the Curvies got inhibitor switches on the clutch lever/stand/gearbox?
If it has,I'd be checking those.Did it start ok before you fitted the clutch lever?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 07:20 PM   #4
xlewdx

The bike was working fine until I tinkered around with it. Really would like to short the wires but if I can't fit a clutch lever without this hassle if I do that, knowing my luck, the bike will blow up!!
The switches at the clutch lever are fine I just don't get how it's happened.
Thank again.
Old 09-05-06, 07:29 PM   #5
Razor

Have you got the clutch cable set right?
I can't be sure from your post but are you putting it in gear to get it started?
Old 09-05-06, 08:13 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

sounds to me like the clutch saftey switch.

Try holding the clutch lever in and then start the bike. You can over-ride it as said before.

You may have inadvertantly not engaged it when you put the new lever on. Its in the gray housing and you have to look up at it to see if you engaged it with the lever.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 08:42 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

I had a set of pattern levers, and the clutch lever often wouldn't hit the switch... You had to pull it upwards (or push it down, i forget) to make it fire. Mechanics hated it
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 08:50 PM   #8
xlewdx

Okay....so there's a safety switch in the clutch housing is there?
Think you may have hit the nail on the head there. Unfortunately it's now late and I've already hit the whiskey bottle. I'll give that a look tomorrow and really appreciate the help. THanks again and I'll let you know how it goes, cheers.
Old 10-05-06, 07:20 PM   #9
xlewdx

I finally got it. That bloody wonderful Suzuki safety feature was the culprit. I hadn't located the lever correctly in the clutch housing to incorporate the switch.
Big thanks to everyone who replied to my post I really appreciated it loads.
Old 11-05-06, 07:50 AM   #10
weazelz

you can turn the clutch sensor switch thing round in its mounting to disable it

I had to do this to get a gsxr clutch lever to work (with some minor hacksawing) at the weekend