SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-09-09, 08:34 PM   #1
Kiyonari

Default Airbox Question

Hi guys,

Long story short i came off bike was running on its side a while and oil in the filter airbox and everywhere. Cleaned the airbox and replaced the filter, but what is the little mini filter thing that attaches to airbox because i couldn't really clean this (well forgot to) and have put bike back together now. Does it need cleaning and what is it ???
Old 26-09-09, 11:59 PM   #2
Holdup

Default Re: Airbox Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Its normal to find a little oil i.e. a tiny wee drop in your airbox. That sponge filter is designed to catch it.
That was a reply when i asked some thing similar and is the best answer i can think of, but obviously yours has been on its side and leaked all into there so just give it a clean up and put it back in
Old 27-09-09, 11:15 AM   #3
fastdruid
Mega Poster

depends which version you have but on a curvy the mini-filter thing is designed to try and condense the oil mist from the engine breathers and drip it back down into the engine again. It's not a filter as such and wouldn't need cleaning. I don't know about the pointy that may have something extra.

Under normal use there will be oil in the air box btw.

Druid
Old 27-09-09, 06:22 PM   #4
Kiyonari

Thanks guys

The mini filter thing does look saturated in oil and I thought it must be natural to have it in there. The air filter I definatley had to replace cause that looked like in had been dunked in a vat of treacle!

Up and running again now just need a indicator bulb (went and spent £4 on wrong sort) and left fairing but that can wait till one comes up i guess, installation tape hiding the splits at the moment