SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-12-13, 05:01 PM   #1
Honest_guy

Default Battery upgrade for curvy?

Hi there,

Recently been having issues with my battery in the cold, especially when running my grips and or speakers. Time for a change so what should I go for? Yuasa comes recommended but what is the most powerful battery I can fit? Can't risk getting stuck in the snow again

Cheers
Old 24-12-13, 05:35 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Battery upgrade for curvy

A quality one will just work, yuasa is good. Make sure your charging system is in good nick.
Old 24-12-13, 05:55 PM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

I got one of these after my last battery died, its got an extra set of terminals so makes hooking up accessories easier than the OEM.

Mines also plugged into the Optimate full time now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Numax-Moto...item3a7e6ccb20
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-13, 06:38 PM   #4
TheRuffellator

+1 for the motobatt battery's, had one on my 400 and it worked perfectly. Quite a few people I know use them and haven't had any problems.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 24-12-13, 06:39 PM   #5
atassiedevil

Motobatt battery every time.
When you feel the weight next to a standard lead acid cell, you understand what you're paying for.
Won't fit anything else these days and they have all sorts of trickery for long life.

Can't go wrong with one.
Old 28-12-13, 12:49 PM   #6
wideguy

Default Re: Battery upgrade for curvy?

I have a friend who upgraded the alternator on his V-Strom (1000cc). Maybe there's a more powerful alternator available for the SV too?
Old 28-12-13, 01:26 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

In my experience there's no need, I had silly lights (2x60w + 2x40w I think at one point), heated grips etc and with a stock alternator and good reg-rec it was charging from tickover upwards, well maybe 1500rpm.

I think you'd need to be drawing a lot of power, and wanting it to charge from tickover, before you'd need to change the alternator.
Old 28-12-13, 04:34 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Yuasa YTZ range is good, though I did have a dud new one once (dealer exchanged no issues). YTZ range has significantly higher cranking current than other versions.

I've heard many very good reports of the Motobatt batteries from satisfied users as the others say, probably a very good value for money choice. Will probably try one next time I need a new item.

As YC says, a quick check over the charging system is well worth the effort, clean terminals, clean fuse blades (including in the starter relay!), clean reg/rec connector etc. A cheap multimeter and 30mins will do the job.
Old 28-12-13, 05:42 PM   #9
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Two years ago I bought a 35 quid gel battery for the curvy after the old Yuasa died. The budget gel battery is still on the bike. It starts the bike every time in all weathers, even after the bike has been stood unused for a couple of weeks in cold weather. I've never once had to hook the Accumate up to it in all that time.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-13, 07:38 PM   #10
Honest_guy

The bike is powering heated grips, usb socket, hid headlights and a 600 watt speaker system which really drains the juice. The fact that it is on 50k miles and 11 years on the same battery probably doesn't help. Ordered a new one now so hopefully no problems. Just a thought, is there any way to beef up the charging system on it?