SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-15, 03:34 PM   #1
aesmith

Default Tyre Pressure Gauge

Hi,

I need a better tyre pressure gauge for checking the SV tyres in particular. I think the gauge on my cheap inflator is probably not to be trusted, and in any case it's difficult to read accurately.

What do you guys use? I was going to get a cheap but branded digital gauge, something like Draper or Sealey, but I'm also being told that those are not accurate and I should be looking for something with a real dial.

Thanks,

Tony S
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 04:56 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tyre Pressure Gauge

To some extent as long as it is portable, and you use the same dial it doesn't matter if it's a little off as long as it is consistent and you find a number that works for you.

I don't think a dial gauge is inherently more accurate than a digital one but I have found I quite like a dial gauge with a dedicated button for releasing pressure such as this one.

Anything that is going to be difficult to line up between the discs is no good

Jambob
Old 12-03-15, 05:03 PM   #3
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
... I quite like a dial gauge with a dedicated button for releasing pressure such as this one.
Cheers. Is that one of the sort that remembers the pressure, or is the release button just for letting the pressure back down if over inflated?
Old 12-03-15, 05:06 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

i like the little digital keyring ones you get at Halfords as you can get them on the valve no problem.

i also use a digital auto stop tyre inflater and they are great, you just set the pressure on the dial and then put the valve on and turn on, when it stops its done. they even go .5psi over for leakage when you take the valve off.

one thing to note.. even the slightest of pssst from the valve when taking readings will drop the pressure.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 05:26 PM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

I use my Halfords digital gauge as my master. I know that my two inflaters (A posh Schrader one and a cheapo clark one) read under. So to get the right pressure, I over inflate by about 4psi on the inflater gauge.

Experience has taught me that I am generally within .5psi so do not tend to then struggle with the digital gauge.

But, at uni first year, 38 years ago we had to study measuration/calibration. That experience plus life taught me that people put an unreasonable faith in a digital instrument without even understanding that it has similar accuracy to an analogue device, without then knowing the requirement for said accuracy.

Out of context example would be two kids arguing with analogue and digital watches. One would say it is 10 o'clock and the other would say no it is 9:59. At the end of the day who cares if they are out by a minute when the objective to know the time is simply they have to be in at 10. i.e. A couple of minutes hardly matters.

But then, again going off in a tangent. How many put faith in a torque wrench, particularly when they only need a couple of NewtonMetres and get out an 18" 1/2" drive torque wrench and then believe it will be accurate at the extreme ends of its range. No wonder we get stripped threads and the I torqued it properly and it stripped.
Old 12-03-15, 07:25 PM   #6
Nutsinatin

I use one of these jobbies, although I paid £9.99 for it at the time. Accurate enough and still going strong after 3 years. The cable makes it easy to reach the valves, and as it has its own bleed I just overinflate by a few PSI and drop it down with this bleed, so no estimation involved. Too bulky to be carrying around on the bike so I have one of the cheapo rod style gauges stored in the puncture kit just in case.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!

Last edited by Nutsinatin; 12-03-15 at 07:26 PM.
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-15, 08:01 PM   #7
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsinatin View Post
I use one of these jobbies, although I paid £9.99 for it at the time....
That looks just the job, thanks
Old 14-03-15, 12:13 AM   #8
ZER0

I use a digital keyring type from Halfords too. Nice and simple. And I took it to my local tyre place and they checked to see if it was accurate. It was spot on