SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-09-15, 08:33 PM   #1
RunAwayCactuar

Default Totalled bike, help for selling parts

My bike was a SV650S in White/Blue

I was involved in a 40mph head on collison with the rear end of a car so basically the entire front end is gone (Forks snapped off, indicators, fairings cracked etc.)

My question is what my options would be, other than the front end, everything else looks salavagable so I'm wondering what parts I could dismantle and sell seperately, I'm not too technical savvy but what parts could I take off and sell?, or would I be better just selling the whole bike as spares? Also what are the average prices for parts?
Old 22-09-15, 10:41 PM   #2
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Totalled bike, help for selling parts

You can conceivably sell every bit of it. I'd sell the engine complete and break the rest down to components. Get an idea of prices from e-bay and make sure you calculate postage correctly (you get a much bigger audience if you'll post). It also helps if you've already got decent ebay feedback.

You could get a decent set of tools, a Haynes manual and use it as a learning opportunity - they're easier to take apart than put back together

Posting all the bits is an effort, as is pulling together all the packaging materials. You might be left with some bits for a while.

OR...You could sell it as is (if you're realistic about its value) and get on with your life. You're likely to make more money breaking the bike, but probably not enough to make it worth your time compared to a day job.

Depends what you can be bothered with really.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-15, 07:29 AM   #3
Heorot

Instead of posting the parts, you can use the MyHermes courier service. Much, much cheaper than Royal Mail and you can book it online.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-15, 10:42 AM   #4
L3nny
Mega Poster

I had the same dilemma when I crashed my Fireblade, in the end I just listed it on ebay as it was, may have made an extra £1000 if I'd stripped for parts but it would have taken me a long time and I'd have had to invest in tools.
Old 23-09-15, 05:04 PM   #5
Alexander94

I've had almost a whole bike's worth of parts for 6 months or so, some parts are highly sought after but some really aren't so I'm left with a garage full of parts that aren't selling.
If you want the money and aren't worried about it taking a while and taking up space it's worth parting it out, if not, sell it as is to someone who needs a donor bike or who wants to put it back on the road (or track) provided the frame is straight...
Also, +1 for MyHermes, I use them and they're considerably cheaper than royal mail. Easier too, saves you waiting in line at the post office for half an hour