SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-12-07, 11:12 AM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default Do not stare at the microwave

I'm told at work... but why?
Old 03-12-07, 11:14 AM   #2
Biker_Billy

Default Re: Do not stare at the microwave

maybe its the "a watched pot never boils" thinking?
Old 03-12-07, 11:18 AM   #3
gettin2dizzy

It's an official H&S warning. It also says do not operate if you have a pacemaker. ?!
Old 03-12-07, 11:29 AM   #4
MiniMatt

Meh, sounds like an oversensitive health and safety bod read that urban myth about leaking microwaves cooking a chef's kidneys from the inside out.

Leaky microwaves could be dangerous, and eyes are particularly sensitive to damage, but microwaves very very rarely leak without obvious physical damage. That mesh stuff over the glass, it's a specific design to stop 2.4ghz waves passing through, with a fully working microwave there'll be no more danger looking through the glass than looking at the back.

EDIT: Ask your health and safety bod if they approve the use of mobile phones for people with pacemakers? Or if you're allowed to look at your mobile phone? Then ask them to measure the microwaves coming from the oven, versus those coming from your work-issued mobile phone. Then threaten to sue

Last edited by MiniMatt; 03-12-07 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-12-07, 11:36 AM   #5
gettin2dizzy

Like at petrol stations when you get told off for having your mobile on, yet it's ok to smoke inside your car....good science!
Old 03-12-07, 11:43 AM   #6
DanDare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Like at petrol stations when you get told off for having your mobile on, yet it's ok to smoke inside your car....good science!
I saw this theory testes once, and they concluded that the mobile is probably not the source in most cases. In fact in the states you can fill your car with 'gas' and leave the nozzle going whilst being able to do other things.

People used to answer their phones or make a call and the subsequent sitting on the drivers seat and rubbing the fabric would in some cases cause a static spark or a charge. The next thing they touch is the nozzle to take it out, creating a spark and thus fire ensues.
Old 03-12-07, 11:44 AM   #7
Kate Moss

maybe they are scared that you will get dizzy and fall over?
Old 03-12-07, 11:44 AM   #8
Ed

Quote:
I don't understand this ban on mobiles on forecourts. I haven't heard of a fuel station going ka-boom cos someone sent a text.

BTW it isn't OK to smoke inside your car. It isn't OK to smoke at all. I have a client who's dad's death cert says small cell cancer of the right lung, and I was curious so I looked it up on wiki, and there is such a disgusting picture of a diseased lung on there....
Old 03-12-07, 11:45 AM   #9
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
I saw this theory testes once, and they concluded that the mobile is probably not the source in most cases. In fact in the states you can fill your car with 'gas' and leave the nozzle going whilst being able to do other things.

People used to answer their phones or make a call and the subsequent sitting on the drivers seat and rubbing the fabric would in some cases cause a static spark or a charge. The next thing they touch is the nozzle to take it out, creating a spark and thus fire ensues.
You been watching mythbusters?! Love it!
Old 03-12-07, 11:47 AM   #10
DanDare

Quote:
You been watching mythbusters?! Love it!

That was it!