SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-05-06, 12:02 PM   #1
rob13

Default Weight training at home

anyone weight train at home?

Thinking of getting some stuff to setup a gym in the garage - ive had gym memberships and i just dont like gyms. Im always on my own and cant stand some of the posing types in there.

Not looking for exercise bike types etc, im looking at getting some freeweights bench etc for training.

Is it worth it?
Old 26-05-06, 12:07 PM   #2
DanDare

Definitely, I save a packet not having to pay for Gym fees.

I have a simple bench for dumbells and long bar.
Got a single garage so its a bit of a tight fit with the bike and missus cross trainer.

Space is the key.
Old 26-05-06, 12:08 PM   #3
Shinsei Jutsu

You can do plenty with a pair of dumbbells, but if you have the money then a set up is worth it if you have the motivation. Do you think you will be able to push yourself to get in there and do a good long workout? If you think you can then go for it.

If you are getting freeweights definately get the metal ones and not the plastic ones filled with cement, they are too big and bulky.

What are you aiming to achieve? Tone, Build, etc ???
Old 26-05-06, 12:10 PM   #4
rob13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Yes, I do and yes it's worth it. Never any excuse not to train, it's way cheaper if all you do is use weights etc, too. I train 3 times a week, run and ride my mountain bike, too. Try and do it with a friend though, it's much better with a spot, you can work harder and it's safer. You might also be able to split the cost?
That was the problem - mates arent really into the gym so i didnt have a spotter. Someone recommended getting a power rack but theyre a bit cumbersome and expensive at the moment for what im wanting to set up.

Im looking to get a decent set of dumbells and a bench and using those in a variety of ways for each muscle group. Tone and strengthen being my priorities. Do i need to look at buying anything else?
Old 26-05-06, 12:14 PM   #5
Shinsei Jutsu

Get a bench and some dumb bells. Dumb bells are far safer than a barbell if you don't have a spotter. That will definately get you working and there isn't really any part of the upper body you can't work with a set of dumbbells.
Old 26-05-06, 12:20 PM   #6
DanDare

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsei Jutsu
Get a bench and some dumb bells. Dumb bells are far safer than a barbell if you don't have a spotter. That will definately get you working and there isn't really any part of the upper body you can't work with a set of dumbbells.
Agree with that. I like benches that you can put extensions on for doing preacher curls with a curling bar, something like:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%2Bbenches.htm

Although you don't need something that complicated if you just want a basic work out because there's loads you can do with just a bench and some dumb bells.
I agree with Lee, you don't need countless weight variations on your bench.
Most can replicated by dumbell technique.

That bench is similar to what I use.
Old 26-05-06, 12:25 PM   #7
K

I got a York home gym thingy. Mainly because I generally train by myself and yet still want to do things that really need a spotter if using free weights.

But space is the issue (apart from cost). If you can then get a bench that allows for some leg work too, like extensions n stuff. Don't just work the upper body would be my advice.
Old 26-05-06, 12:30 PM   #8
Shinsei Jutsu

Very true K, but legs are easier to work without a bench. You can do plenty of different types of lunges and squats with or without the dumb bells and get better effects than using an extension on a bench. Most of my leg exercises come from my martial arts, add some ankle weights and you get a great workout. I find the extensions on a bench aren't the best thing for a good workout.
But your definately right, work all your muscles and don't just stick to upperbody.
Old 26-05-06, 12:36 PM   #9
rob13

Id really like a set of the rubber hex dumbells but theyre very expensive. The larger cast ones can become a bit bulky when trying some exercises.

These 25kg dumbell sets arent heavy enough so ill have to get some more discs
Old 26-05-06, 01:26 PM   #10
tricky

I used to have a full set of weights and a bench in the garage.

It has three main drawbacks

1) In the winter its fecking cold, straining cold muscles is never good.
2) Garages tend to be full of other stuff such as motorbikes/lawnmowers/general crap, so finding enough space to train properly can be an issue.
3) as already pointed out, there is normaly nobody about to spot you.

I trained at home for about 10 years, as soon as I could afford to join a gym I did so and sold my bench and weights.

I still keep a pair of dumbells at home which still get used quite bit mind.