SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-11-06, 06:15 PM   #1
riktherider

Default cyclinder head porting

got the sv stripped down at the mo. its a 99 model sv. so i thought i could get some engine work done. as far as i know the engine hasnt really had any treatment. is it worth gertting the heads ported? any recomendations to people who i should use?? also any other things i should consider doing to the engine while ive got it out. im getting new hoses, air kit, dyno jet kit ect. any thing else??

cheers
Old 18-11-06, 04:59 PM   #2
mick24

It's worth opening up the Inlet tract on the head to match the carb inlet rubbers,polish the Inlet
tract (not to a mirror finish) so you still get a bit of turbulence before it gets to the valves.
Polish the Combustion chambers to remove any hotspots which can cause detonation.
Do the same to the exhaust side as you did to the Inlet tract.
Polish the Exhaust tract to a mirror finish this time,so there is nothing to hinder the gas coming
out on the exhaust stroke.
Old 18-11-06, 07:29 PM   #3
sdusk

The porting on the SV is very close to optimum right out of the box. If you are going to spend that amount of money on the engine, get an 800cc big bore kit instead.