SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-05-08, 09:03 AM   #1
svsk2

Default Drilling holes in number plates

What's best? To drill from the front, or the back? High revs or low on the drill?

Everytime I've done it, I've managed to crack the numberplate.
Old 27-05-08, 09:08 AM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: Drilling holes in number plates

drilling holes in number plates is much like making love to a beautiful woman

approach from the front, get your drill up to speed before entering and remember to be gentle, slowly moving the tip in and out getting a little deeper each time

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-08, 09:08 AM   #3
arenalife

High speed, sharp drill. Go from the back and put a piece of wood underneath for the drill to go into to stop cracking. Put some sellotape on where you want to drill to stop it skidding about, FFS don't centre punch it lol.
Old 27-05-08, 09:11 AM   #4
StreetHawk

Stick the plate on with pads!
Old 27-05-08, 09:16 AM   #5
kwak zzr

it helps if the plate is warm too, a cold plastic plate on a cold day will crack easy, also drill through into a piece of wood so there no snatching and u can go straight through smoothly.
Old 27-05-08, 09:18 AM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
drilling holes in number plates is much like making love to a beautiful woman

approach from the front, get your drill up to speed before entering and remember to be gentle, slowly moving the tip in and out getting a little deeper each time

Old 27-05-08, 09:21 AM   #7
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetHawk View Post
Stick the plate on with pads!

Or even better velcro so it can be removed easy

Serioucly though, I sadly used to have to drill plates all the time many moons ago when I worked in Hellfrauds. Alway put masking tape on the acrylic front side, start with a small pilot hole using a small drill bit, then use the final size.

Works everytime, never cracked a plate.
Old 27-05-08, 11:17 AM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Ideally you want a drill bit which has been ground with zero top rake angle at the leading edge. This makes the leading edge like a scraper rather than a cutter. Think of holding a knife at 90deg scraping a surface rather than a shallow angle like when sharpening a pencil.

You can do it easily with a hand stone to put a small flat at the leading edge parallel with the axis of the drill bit. You don't need a very big flat, basically just taking the sharp edge off will do it. Try it and you'll be surprised how much difference it can make. You still want a sharp corner to scrape effectively, just not a shallow angle.

What tends to crack plastic is that the drill bit grabs as it breaks through and very quickly wedges itself through the last fraction of material. Taking the shallow angle cutting edge off will prevent the grab.

I keep a 6.5mm drill bit which I have stoned just for drilling plastics and brittle materials. As others say, I usually put masking tape on the front and drill from there holding the plate firmly onto a flat surface, a newspaper on a piece of wood can be useful to avoid damaging the rear side film.

Last edited by embee; 27-05-08 at 11:20 AM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-08, 01:43 PM   #9
ooger

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Ideally you want a drill bit which has been ground with zero top rake angle at the leading edge. This makes the leading edge like a scraper rather than a cutter. Think of holding a knife at 90deg scraping a surface rather than a shallow angle like when sharpening a pencil.

You can do it easily with a hand stone to put a small flat at the leading edge parallel with the axis of the drill bit. You don't need a very big flat, basically just taking the sharp edge off will do it. Try it and you'll be surprised how much difference it can make. You still want a sharp corner to scrape effectively, just not a shallow angle.

What tends to crack plastic is that the drill bit grabs as it breaks through and very quickly wedges itself through the last fraction of material. Taking the shallow angle cutting edge off will prevent the grab.

I keep a 6.5mm drill bit which I have stoned just for drilling plastics and brittle materials. As others say, I usually put masking tape on the front and drill from there holding the plate firmly onto a flat surface, a newspaper on a piece of wood can be useful to avoid damaging the rear side film.
+1

Or just go and practice on some others in the street first.
Old 27-05-08, 03:11 PM   #10
svsk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post

Embee, I've read this, re-read it, gone away, come back and read it again and I still haven't got a clue what you mean! I think you've just robbed me of all my maleness!