SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 28-05-07, 06:52 PM   #1
ninjadoll

Default Best tyres for a curvey s

Hi all. I've had my sv for all of 6 months now but the rear tyre is needing replaced. My bf reckons the front has not long to go so I should get them both replaced. Thing is what are the best tyres for my model bike? I'm not a fast rider by any means and my bf says I have chicken strips as wide as the M6. I ride mostly town and weekend pootles if that helps.
Old 28-05-07, 09:13 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Best tyres for a curvey s

I've tried a few different sorts of tyres on my bikes. To be honest for the SV I don't think you can beat the Metzler Roadtec Z6 out of the ones I've tried.

However. Michellin Pilot Road 2's seems to be getting good feedback as do the Pirelli Diablo Strada ( Same as the Metzler Z6 )

So personally I think you'll be OK with any of those.

Hope that helps

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-07, 09:42 PM   #3
ninjadoll

Thanks I just want them to stick tom the road like glue 24/7. I must sound dim lol.
Old 28-05-07, 10:15 PM   #4
hovis

road attacks are good IMO
Old 28-05-07, 10:31 PM   #5
Well Oiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
road attacks are good IMO
Second that. I had Road Attacks fitted to my curvy and they felt great. Always felt planted. Good value too. If you're anywhere near the East Midlands our local friens Spannerman will do a great deal on them.

HTH Keith
Old 29-05-07, 05:51 AM   #6
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

We have the Pilot Road 2's, and can't fault them. Rode all the way home from Wales in pouring rain and felt totally confident with their grip, far more so than we ever did with the Diablo's, and in the dry they are awesome too.

We'll be sticking with them from now on. ( Pun NOT intended)

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-07, 07:47 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

I prefer the Diablo Stradas/Metz Z6's over the Conti road attacks(Which i hated). Had both.

As for the inital question. Its very subjective. Everyone wants different things from thier tyres, and everyone looks for different things when riding, and everyones opinion is different. If you are on stock rubber, then anything will seem better/different.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-07, 07:58 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Agreed Z6's/strada's are your first call, road attacks will be a couple of quid cheaper and another good option, but don't last as long as the Z6's, so I'd go for them over the road attacks.

However if mileage isn't an issue then perhaps consider Avon vipers sport (or for a bit more mileage the "ST" ) which are very good, although some don't like the amount of feedback they give, but if you have money to burn, Rennsports are probably the best I had on the SV (although did kill them in 1850 miles ).

But as said, just about anything will feel better than stock rubber, so enjoy.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-07, 11:45 AM   #9
ninjadoll

Thanks guys for the advice. It was pirelli diabolo strads that were on them. My bf got them both changed for me yesterday to some new type of tyre called 2CT roads. Not exactly sure if that's correct as I haven't been out to look them yet. He's scrubbed them in for me. I'll have a look when I go out next. I'd love to be able to come back and say they feel like this and that but TBH I'm not too sure what people mean by feel and grip and all that. I just want to know that I wont be sliding all over the place.
Old 30-05-07, 11:55 AM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Mich pilots. A good tyre by all accounts. Enjoy
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote