SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-09, 10:09 AM   #1
Berlin

Default Changing tyres rant.

So, my swanky new tyres show up having waited at the door drooling for a week.

Get on the phone to my local National Tyres to get them fitted.

"Sorry we don't fit customers own tyres"!

"Erm, yes you do. I was there three times last year"

"No, its company policy"

"No, its company policy not to fit used tyres but you overlook it if the tyres are not puncture repaired"

"Well its a new company policy"

" Listen mate, can I come down to use your paddock stands, hand you wheels and you fit NEW tyres to my bike"?

"No"

********!

So I phone the National Tyres branch the same distance the other way

"Hi, can you fit some new bike tyres if I bring the bike up to you and use your paddock stands to hand you loose wheels"

"Yes, no problem. £15 per wheel"

"How much? last year it was only £10. Why's it gone up"

"To make buying tyres off the internet less appealing so you buy them here"

"So does that include taking them off the bike"?

"No, that costs extra"!

"Well, at least that was honest. Out of interest, what would you charge for a set of Avon Vipers fitted"?

"£200 including fitting"

"No wonder you don't sell any"

"Ah, but we both know how much bike wheels are worth. You wouldn't want your bike wheels damaged would you"?

"Well, no, but because you're professionals, you don't damage wheels"

"Well, that's why we charge the extra"

"Eh"?

So, it looks like I'll be fitting and balancing the buggers myself!

I have a great hatred of being ripped off, especially when I'm aware that i'm being ripped off.

Strange too that the other branch didn't hear about the customers own tyre directive.

Wassicks!

Rant over.
Old 03-03-09, 10:17 AM   #2
Ceri JC

Default Re: Changing tyres rant!

Fitting tyres is a pig of a job, but despite having a good tyre shop round the corner run by a biker (who will fit them for £10 per wheel), I was determined to learn to fit them myself. It's questionnable whether I'll bother in future for routine tyre changes, but I'm glad I learnt as it's always useful to be able to do things yourself for those situations where you spot a puncture on Sunday evening and need the bike first thing on Monday.

EDIT: Incidentally, I think given how long it takes them to fit/balance tyres, £10 per tyre seems like a fair price for their time and the negligible consumables cost of fitting tyres to me. I'd even go so far as £15 provided they chucked in a new valve and any tyre weights that were needed. It's the places charging £20-25 I'd be complaining about.

I'd always take wheels in myself if possible, even if getting new tyres bought from them fitted, unless getting it fitted at a suzuki dealership/bike garage: Generic tyre shops don't seem to have the torque settings and hence tend to resort to "tight as fook". I once had to take my bike back to a tyre shop to get them to loosen my back axle as they'd done it up so tight I couldn't adjust my chain. It's also a handy opportunity to clean the brakes while the wheels are out.

Last edited by Ceri JC; 03-03-09 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 10:19 AM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

£14 a pair at my local. Don't you have local indepedant shops in your area berlin?
Old 03-03-09, 10:21 AM   #4
petevtwin650

I'm surprised you feel you are being riped off Berlin. After all it's at least 10 to 15 mins to change and balance a wheel. Plus a retail supplier has to pay to get the discarded tyres taken away I believe.

How are you going to balance them?
Old 03-03-09, 11:10 AM   #5
Berlin

I've now requested The company policy (in writing) on bike tyres from the head office of National. Well see what the real situation is.

I used to fit and balance all of my tyres myself but that was when I was younger and keener. I now find it a bit of a chore although I can still do it and still have the levers, rim guards and stands.

I used to balance the tyres with the spindle on axel stands using older less sticky stick on weights. It took 15 minutes if you were unlucky. Less than 5 if you got lucky. Then stick new weights on where the older weights were. Its not a difficult job, just laborious (and I'm a perfectionist so could easily get carried away and spend hours to get it *exactly* right. Its a nightmare being a perfectionist)

My local place takes less than 5 minutes to change a tyre, revalve and balance.

Two tyres for £30 is £150 an hour and I've done all the hard work!

If it had always been £15 then no problem, but they can't justify the extra fiver for improved service. They just put the price up because they can.

50% inflation?

Oh, and my paddock stands are 80 miles away so I have to go and get them first

C

Last edited by Berlin; 03-03-09 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-03-09, 11:19 AM   #6
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

[quote=Berlin;1806147]
50% inflation?
quote]

Times are tight.

Would you rather have the option to pay £15 or not have the option at all.

You will probably think I am mental because I spent £225 on a pair of Sportmax tyres, ride in, ride out.

I actually rode about 5 miles through London rush hour traffic, 2-up with a flat from outside of one of the cheaper bike tyre places (FWR) to where I got my tyres changed (Essential Rubber) because I would rather support a competent shop.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 11:56 AM   #7
Berlin

Not at all, In fact I respect you for doing so. Anyone who supports a *good* shop is buying on service and not price.

I do the same and promote this. If its a *good* shop.

I my ideal world all prices would be fixed and you'd be forced to choose on service which would force an improvement in service.

But paradoxically...

Times may be tight. I was happy paying £20 for changing tyres. It was "good value" I'm not happy paying £30. I'm begrudging and reluctant. It leaves a bitter taste. My brain tells me its not good value.

So I change them myself and the company loses £30. But they would have got my £20 so they lose out. Over the year they may lose £60-80 and my recommendation to other bikers of their good service and value.

Repeat business is everything. Its how branding works. If I like Avon tyres, I keep buying Avon tyres.

My local bike shop charges £30 but won't (not can't) let me use their paddock stands so I can't ride there, use my own tools and use their paddock stands. National does so they are "better value". But used to be even better value.

So I'm forced to use a service which I don't feel is good value. My brain is telling me I've lost a full tank of petrol for the same service as last year with no increase in "value".

They had a very happy customer, who is now unhappy. for the sake of a tenner. I wish I could buy my customers loyalty and satisfaction for a tenner, I'd send them out in the post today!

C
Old 03-03-09, 12:42 PM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

So how much were you tyres in the 1st place?

Also, how much money do you put on your own time? As you say, its takes them 5 mins to change a tyre, and you probably best part of an hour i'd imagine.

I know its a principle thing, but honestly, i would even bother getting the tyres in the 1st place and just taking my wheels down there and getting them to supply and fit.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 12:52 PM   #9
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post

So I change them myself and the company loses £30. But they would have got my £20 so they lose out. Over the year they may lose £60-80 and my recommendation to other bikers of their good service and value.
That is a very closed point of view.

They may have lost your money because of the price increase. But they could well make that and much more on the people who do pay the extra. So they would consider you a casualty of war. The end result would be profit increase and no lost sleep over the loss of your £30.
Old 03-03-09, 01:27 PM   #10
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
That is a very closed point of view.

They may have lost your money because of the price increase. But they could well make that and much more on the people who do pay the extra. So they would consider you a casualty of war. The end result would be profit increase and no lost sleep over the loss of your £30.
Good point; given the size of the price hike, they'd have to drive off more than 1/3rd of customers in your position to make a loss. I suspect most people just say, "oh well, it's only a fiver" and pay up, so they make more in total.