SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-02-11, 08:39 PM   #1
bigchris

Default Running rich?

Hi, all.

I'm in the process of re jetting my carbs and had a few questions.

Rode the bike today and here's what I found.

1. Bike seems to have lost torque and power .

2. Engine coughs when blipping throttle down gears. Backfires through exhaust also, but not every time.

3. Power loss seems worse after engine braking for any period

4. When cracking throttle open from idle, engine seems to hesitate. Not a lot but enough for me to notice.

5. The bike generally feels restricted.

Are these symptoms of running rich?

I'm thinking that after adding larger main jetts I may need to lift the tank and get a performance air filter to get more air in?

Any help apriciated. Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-02-11, 08:56 PM   #2
hardhat_harry

Default Re: Running rich?

Take spark plug out, does the anode look wet and sooty (too rich) or white (too lean)s a beige colour its ok.

Also check you have put all the pipes on the airbox including the blanking ones
Old 17-02-11, 09:04 PM   #3
hardhat_harry

Btw what mods have you made to make you think you need bigger jets?
Old 17-02-11, 09:12 PM   #4
bigchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat_harry View Post
Btw what mods have you made to make you think you need bigger jets?
Fitted a Beowulf open can, the bike ran like crap after that.it was very lean. Was trying to cut out at low revs and would cough and die when blipping down gears. I could pull the choke on when the engine was warm and it would just rev out rather than cut out as expected, so I put 140 mains in and new 17.5 pilots, needle set at 2cd notch from blunt end & running standard air filter. Balanced the carbs and now it seems to have lost torque and power???

Old 17-02-11, 09:45 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

sounds like you've mucked it up, fitting a can won't cause the symptoms you describe, so I'd guess you had another problem, and now all you've done is cover it with a further one.

lifting the tank will only increase the noise, and changine jets/ mucking about with neddles only makes sense with a free flow filter (something like a BMC RS) and a full exhaust system, anything short of that, leave the jets alone.

I'd suggest you return the carbs to standard, find the original problem, and take it from there.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-11, 09:49 PM   #6
bigchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
sounds like you've mucked it up, fitting a can won't cause the symptoms you describe, so I'd guess you had another problem, and now all you've done is cover it with a further one.

lifting the tank will only increase the noise, and changine jets/ mucking about with neddles only makes sense with a free flow filter (something like a BMC RS) and a full exhaust system, anything short of that, leave the jets alone.

I'd suggest you return the carbs to standard, find the original problem, and take it from there.

Cheers Mark.
I may just do that, what could cause the probloms if it's not the jetting?

Old 17-02-11, 09:56 PM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

I'd guess an air leak, but it's worth checking everything systematically rather than going for one thing to "hopefully" fix it, do a proper job and you don't have to guess.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-11, 10:00 PM   #8
hardhat_harry

I think you need to go through a series of elimination.

Check plugs is it rich or lean?

Put standard jets in and the can you had before the Beowulf, is it still doing it?

Then you should know where to go from there but I suspect either airbox not fitted correctly, fuel line trapped, spark plugs or HT Leads not on properly
Old 17-02-11, 10:18 PM   #9
bigchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat_harry View Post
I think you need to go through a series of elimination.

Check plugs is it rich or lean?

Put standard jets in and the can you had before the Beowulf, is it still doing it?

Then you should know where to go from there but I suspect either airbox not fitted correctly, fuel line trapped, spark plugs or HT Leads not on properly
Will check the plugs. I did put the original can back on and the probloms stopped? This what made me think the jetting was the problom. All the fuel lines were checked and the tap and pump. All fine. Thinking of just getting it to a dyno. I'm getting ready for scrapping it!!!

Old 17-02-11, 10:20 PM   #10
bigchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchris View Post
Will check the plugs. I did put the original can back on before i changed the jetts from standard and the probloms stopped? This what made me think the jetting was the problom. All the fuel lines were checked and the tap and pump. All fine. Thinking of just getting it to a dyno. I'm getting ready for scrapping it!!!