SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-09, 02:24 PM   #1
Skip
Mega Poster

Default Directions when on a bike - help

Collectives of the 'org - lend me your thoughts please

Leading a ride on Sunday and although I have done this before its on roads that I dont know that well - taking in lots of little villages and left/right turns etc. All easy enough if you are on your own with a map as you can just stop and take a look - bit of a pain if there are a few people relying on you to know the way if you have to keep stopping.

Normally I print out the Googlemap route and can take a rough idea from it - this one is not so easy due to the width of the route when printed and the sheer number of left and right junction turns. I have seen PeteVtwin print out the villages and road numbers instead of a map which was quite a good idea - but its always nice to see where you heading I think.

So how do you guys do it?

Here is the route in question...
Old 08-05-09, 02:26 PM   #2
Geoffrey

Default Re: Directions when on a bike - help

i write down the names of villages/towns in the order that i will pass through and stick this with insulation tape to the petrol tank
Old 08-05-09, 02:28 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I have seen PeteVtwin print out the villages and road numbers instead of a map which was quite a good idea
Thats what I do.

My dad is in the VMCC and they often get given a route like your google route planner print out.

Alot of them have two rollers mounted on the bars with IIRC a sheet of plastic over them, you wind the route around the first roller and then theres a knob which you twiddle to wind the route on as you get to each junction.

It looks complete cack, but I'd imagine it would do what your after

One of these :

http://www.oldbikeshop.com/detail.asp?ItemCode=ROUTEH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 02:32 PM   #4
missyburd

YC rights down the road numbers and main villages/towns on a bit of paper which sits in the transparent pocket of his tankbag, seems to work fine!

EDIT: just reread your post, same as Pete . I should think trying to read from any sort of map is going to be a pain, and too many right and left turns is just distracting. You could try print the map out and trace the route with a big black marker pen and write the main road numbers so you can see them?
Old 08-05-09, 02:37 PM   #5
Lucas

A road map is the way ahead! turn left/right-road number-heading to: name of village town. (thanks Mark!)

Helps to scout the route before the day itself too, for landmarks, cafes etc. (something I wish i did before getting lost last week )

Last edited by Lucas; 08-05-09 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-05-09, 02:42 PM   #6
Skip
Mega Poster

Thanks everyone - I think I will go with Lucas' option which is variation on Pete's idea. I might also print the map out and keep that on hand just in case!

Cheers
Old 08-05-09, 02:46 PM   #7
petevtwin650

Helps to write it out in big writing, and not putting too many instructions on one sheet. Discard the old sheet and read the new one.

Good luck Skip. Maybe we'll see your new beast on the next one.
Old 08-05-09, 03:00 PM   #8
Ginger 1

not being funny and it is expensive but tomtom rider!. Ride for hours to the middle of nowhere and always make it home in time for tea!
Old 08-05-09, 03:01 PM   #9
Niz

No one uses TomTom Itineraries?
Old 08-05-09, 03:03 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

Roads...where we are going we dont need roads!

Anyhoo, im the make notes before i set off kind of thing and if on a largish rideout keep it simple. As few a turns as possible, if there are mark them or use the mirror technique. I also carry a mp for the 'erm, i think we have taken the scenic route' moments

Failing that, i have VineyNav(tm) Its like sat nav, but better. A few people have used it and were impressed.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote