SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-07, 09:17 PM   #1
riktherider

Default buell s1 any thoughts?

seen a couple around, and have to say i really like. 99 models, 1200cc engine, torquey and loud. just wondering if anyone has experianced them before and if there is anything i should look out for?
Old 17-08-07, 10:13 PM   #2
PaulSV650S

Default Re: buell s1 any thoughts?

They are here in the states. Not reliable at all. Maybe the euro model is better quality?
Old 18-08-07, 03:03 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSV650S View Post
They are here in the states. Not reliable at all. Maybe the euro model is better quality?
Nope they're not, real muscle bike though, but as said not what you'd call durable

Nice as a toy, but not an everyday bike*, I like them more than the later (fuell in frame) ones

S1 nice

X1 is better though

And whatever you do don't look at one of these

* without deep pockets and a reliable mechanic on hand 24/7

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-07, 08:29 AM   #4
riktherider

do you know about the reliability?? what seems to go wrong occasionally, etc. im a competant mechanic so i should be able to sort most of the problems out. im keeping the sv as a work horse, so the buell is more of a good weather bike and weekend blast, but would be nice to make it more reliable.
Old 18-08-07, 05:58 PM   #5
kwak zzr

my mates firebolt is faultless up to now (touches wood)
Old 18-08-07, 06:10 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

the issues I'm aware of on the S1 are (to what extent you'd have to investigate),

engine mount cracks,
belt wear
collapsing rear shock,
gearbox problems (from very stiff changes to complete failure),
ansilary electricl problems,
fuel leaks,
exhaust rot,
and brake fade.

I'm not aware of any of the recall notices, but do know there were some, so another point to investigate.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-07, 01:34 PM   #7
PaulSV650S

I hate to say it since I am over here but american bikes S**K the quality control is not there. Like Harley they think they can sale a pile of horse crap and slap a lable on it and get top dollar. The tech is cool but no quality control. the list of problems for the early buells go on and on. Dude it uses a harley engine that should answer the question. they look cool and sound cool butttttttt. I came very close to buying a city X but got the SV instead. Since I am in the states and if you get the buell let me know if you start buying parts and I'll compare the price over here to see if it will be a savings to you to buy from the states.... same for the other readers if there is anything that you may want to buy and If the price is better here let me know.
Old 19-08-07, 06:13 PM   #8
Daimo

Friend has the 900cc model. Changed all the tank and customised it. Great engineering, oil stored in the rear swinging arm. Its about as quick as an SV650S to 100mph but you wouldn't really want to go much quicker. Its tiny, great little town toy.