SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-09-14, 06:41 PM   #1
scotty217

Default Electrical problems.

I got two probs with Suzie.

1. Horn only works when you squirt a load of WD 40 into left switch gear.

2. Rarely (but getting more frequent) she wont turn on unless i move handle bars from lock to lock.

I think first problem is a thorough clean of switch gear, is that hard? I do have a haynes manual.

Second problem I'm not so sure about. Anyone had anything like this before?

I had a prob with the fuel pump a while back, which turned out to be a corroded wire in the middle of the loom. Second problem feels sorta the same.

Any help or ideas would be great. If you need more info, Wednesday is the earliest i can take a good look. I'm on call tomorrow (again!).

Scotty
Old 29-09-14, 06:49 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Leccy problems

first one can be sorted by putting proper contact grease in the switchgear contacts.

second sounds very much like the green connector issue or your ignition switch giving up and both are common problems. this can only be sorted once diagnosed.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-14, 06:52 PM   #3
scotty217

Hey Bibs, is the switch gear easy to take apart? And is the green connector the connector for the Ignition switch?

Thanks for replying so quick by the way!
Old 29-09-14, 07:04 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes and yes

the switchgear is just two screws underneath (they are #2 philips so dont use #2 pozi or you will chew the screw heads) then you get the grease supplied in a syringe and just squirt the stuff into the offending mechanism and while your there you might as well do the rest of them. give the switches a good old push/move with the ignition off. top tip with using the syringe, always pull back on the plunger after using it or it gets everywhere. keep the grease in your toolbox so you can use it on every connector/switch you happen to take apart on the bike. when using the grease on connectors fill the female contacts with the grease then push the connector back together then fill the cable ends with the stuff you will then pretty much never have another problem with said connector.

Last edited by Bibio; 29-09-14 at 07:07 PM.
Old 29-09-14, 07:09 PM   #5
scotty217

Excellent, thanks mate. What are the issues with the green connector? How can you tell if its the connector or the Ign switch?

Gotta go be dads taxi, back in a wee while.

Last edited by scotty217; 29-09-14 at 07:12 PM.
Old 29-09-14, 07:16 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

if its the connector then it will have a burnt out main terminal which you will have to bridge. the ignition can sometimes be cured by squirting WD40 or the contact grease down the barrel and then air dusting it down and threw the lower mechanism. there is a wiper in the bottom of the ignition that can become furred up so needs to be cleaned or at worst the wiper becomes loose in the carriage so moves about and wiggling the ignition usually solves the problem till you switch the ignition off again. my guess is that due to you turning the bars then i would go for the green connector first. the green connector will kill all power to the bike so you dont even get headlights or illumination on the dials.
Old 29-09-14, 07:17 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

ooohhh and this is why i never keep other keys on my bike/car key as it kills ignition barrels.
Old 29-09-14, 09:13 PM   #8
scotty217

Thanks again mate, I'll look into all of this the first chance i get.
Old 30-09-14, 08:55 AM   #9
scotty217

Default Re: Electrical problems.

Update - Pushed bike out of garage this morning to ride to work - Switched on and nothing - she's totally dead. Nothing after lock to lock, wd40 and contact cleaner down ignition switch and then lots of switching off and on and wiggling didnt help. Had to dash for train. I'm supposed to be "riding to the wall" on Saturday, and friday will be the first chance i get to look.
Old 30-09-14, 08:57 AM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electrical problems.

sounds like green connector or loose battery terminal.

has the bike been sluggish to start recently?