SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-07-08, 01:33 PM   #1

Default The smell of burnt rubber eminating...

This morning, i got up and went to get the bike out of the garage, went to start it up as i always do, pulled in the clutch and pressed the button giving a small bit of throttle to get it going. Then there was a quiet bang and smoke starting pouring upwards from underneath the tank and it looked as though it was coming from the fron cylinder. The smoke smelt of burnt rubber.

I havn't had a proper look yet as i've only just returned from work but i think it may be a case of there being a dodgy connection to the plug on the front and it has sparked and melted some of the rubber housing. Or atleast that's the only thing i can think of.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause and what the actual problem may be?

Its a 2002 curvy by the way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 30-07-08, 01:38 PM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: The smell of burnt rubber eminating...

I had it once on my old curvey, IIRC it is a mystery that no-one has found the answer to. Did anything feel different on the bike at all? Did it do it again when you started it again? If not, tis the same as the thing I got only once on my curvey.
Old 30-07-08, 01:40 PM   #3

I decided to cycle to work but i did try to start it again and it didn't smoke the second time but it didn't sound quite right although it could just be the fact that it was cold and i was phsycolically thinging, jesus wept, its ****ed!

I've just had another go at starting it and everything seems to be fine now. I rang up a suzuki dealer and the only thing he could think of was perhaps a bit of petrol or something may have got under the plug housing causing a bit of a spark. Either way it seems to be fine now so all being well it should be ok!

Last edited by 14990; 30-07-08 at 02:33 PM. Reason: addition
Old 30-07-08, 05:49 PM   #4
sv_rider1990

You've been doin donuts thats what it is lo!!
Old 30-07-08, 10:06 PM   #5

its all good now had the tank up and the air filter out and nothing seems untoward! took her out for ride and it was as normal!