SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-07-16, 09:27 PM   #1
EliteAlex

Default Superglue'd heated grip... like a wally!

I went out for a ride a few days ago and the heated grips on the SV were twisting which caused the cable to get tight on the throttle side and get stuck open occasionally. I dedided i'd 'fix' the two twisting grips by superglueing them both on. Only today i realised I have made a very rookie error... I can't pull the clutch in fully as the cable is in the way! What a plum!

At the moment i've repositioned the lever so the bike is rideable but its not an ideal situation! I've ordered a replacement grip as i've done a too good a job and that sucker isn't shifting at all! I think i'll have to cut it off and fit the new one!

Does anybody know if there is a better way of getting the grip off without damaging it? I can't use a screwdriver round the outside as there is a plastic tube between the rubber grips and the bar which the glue is attached to (i.e. No room for the screwdriver). Should i have used superglue? The throttle side is fine.

Cheers, Alex
Old 17-07-16, 12:00 AM   #2
TightRS

Default Re: Superglue'd heated grip... like a wally!

When fitting my Oxford analogue hot grips I'd tried to trim the triangular bit off the throttle tube, with a ruddy chisel. Tap, tap, tap - clink - bugger! It went through to the bar beneath. So in all my wisdom I tried to fix it with the only thing left in the shed - plastic wood filler. Then I glued it back on with the supplied cheapy superglue.

It lasted one twist before snapping off, duh. So I had to remove the glued tube. I plugged the hotgrip into the battery to help heat it up, sprayed WD-40 down the gap and set to work with the magic tool to remove it. A thin metal flexible letter opener. Then I bought an R6 throttle tube from Yamaha posted for about £9, which requires no trimming and also gives a quicker action too!

The left side was so tight I used WD40 to get it on and it stays put when riding. Though it can be forced around deliberately and block the clutch lever, which the MOT guy has done a few times on me
Old 17-07-16, 06:31 AM   #3
tom_e

I wouldn't have thought superglue would create a very strong bond between the grip and the bar to be honest a couple of good hard twists will probably free it off.
Old 17-07-16, 08:26 AM   #4
EliteAlex

Just been out and tried to do as you guys suggested and that thing really isn't budging! I put quite a generous helping of glue under there! I think its going to be a cut off jobby and just put it down to experience! Looks like i've got a job on next weekend!
Old 17-07-16, 03:47 PM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

What ever happen to using good old hairspray?
Old 20-07-16, 12:09 PM   #6
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Superglue can be shocked and cracked pretty easily, can you line something up on the end of the plastic tube it's on, get a mate to grab the grip and tap to shock the tube and hopefully crack the bond?
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote