SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-11-06, 04:08 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default who's responsible?

Driving home today i noticed so much diesel on the road! a foot wide smear of it all the way down my own road alone, and big pools on roundabouts! Is there anyone whos responsible for cleaning it up? i really don't like the taste of tarmac! Manchester buses are such a pain! they drop diesel everywhere and they're so heavy and frequent the roads just turn to ****. Potholes everywhere!
Old 14-11-06, 04:17 PM   #2
Nostrils

get in touch with your local council, they are responsible!!!!

If they say they are not tell them you will be ringing 999, THEN ring 999 and explain that the spillage is an accident waiting to happen. I was given this advice by the Police Riders on the BikeSafe Course run from The Ace Cafe, Neasden.

Far too many people, including commercial drivers/companies fill their tanks right up to the brim without leaving the fuel anywhere to go when they go round corners.....except out of the overflow/cap.

Good Luck and watch those 'rainbows' in the road
Old 14-11-06, 04:18 PM   #3
Ceri JC

Fortunately I took the car to work yesterday or else I'd have possibly had an off. For about 2 and a half miles there was diesel all along an A road. It wasn't a few drops here and there, it was a continuous band, about as wide as half of the lane, forcing you to (unless you were in a car) either continuously stay in the middle of the road, or in almost skimming the verge. In short, preventing you from moving about in your lane.

From the sheer volume of the stuff, it looked like a holed fuel tank on a lorry. Fortunately, it was raining fairly heavily, so hopefully it'd soon be washed away.
Old 14-11-06, 04:23 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

its such a pain. I'm always amazed at how much there is spread over the road. Especially on roundabouts! which department in the council deals with this?
Old 14-11-06, 04:27 PM   #5
Jdubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Fortunately I took the car to work yesterday or else I'd have possibly had an off.
Not really...the slippery stuff also affect cars...especially in the quantities your'e speaking of. Diesel also softens the bitumen used to hold the road surface together.
Ride safely out there peeps
Old 14-11-06, 04:31 PM   #6
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

It was like playing Pac-Man yesterday - a new "drop" (if you can call a dinner-plate sized blob a drop) od diesel every couple of feet.

Waka-Waka
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-06, 07:53 PM   #7
Nostrils

Ask for the Environment Department at your local council. Also take a look at the BMF site for "Killspills", they have plenty of advice.

Roundabouts are especially dangerous in and around petrol stations because of my previous comment about over filling. My brother works for BP, at a fuel transfer and maintenance station and his yard and the surrounding roads are immaculate, no a drop to be seen, so roads can be kept clean if someone can be bothered!
Old 14-11-06, 07:59 PM   #8
Beenz

There was a slick of the stuff in West Swindon today near where I work, another overfilled tank. When will these neanderthals learn that what they believe they are saving in fuel stops is jut tipped over the roundabouts. Makes me blood boil, imagine if it was dark........
Old 15-11-06, 12:16 AM   #9
Horney

I wrote off my mum's traveling because of a spill, 4 cars on the same corner and nothing was done about it. We were all very lucky as there was a 10 foot drop at the other side of the corner. I was only traveling at 30 mph! Shocking and there was no attempt by the local council or BEAR Scotland to do anything about it. Next time I will call 999!