SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 20-07-07, 10:23 PM   #1
ibishu

Default The Scotish Highlands (warning photos)

Hello everyone, i am back from the magical land of not-being-here, also known as holidays.

I will start this out by saying never offer your ex the chance to come and visit you in your new life.

Right, that said, we actually had an amazing time on the roads. i ended up buying a GSXR 600 99 model for him which is now for sale if anyone is interested. see relevant for sale section of the site.

now to the good bit!

we left London, and headed pretty much north westish sticking to the orange a roads. we went up through Cowshill and wetwang to Whitby. from there, took a northwesterly direction to avoid all major towns and eventually hit scotland through Jedburgh which is a beautiful village! from there, headed to Inverness, but still avoided going anywhere near a place with more than 2 main streets, then we skirted around loch ness and up to the north west corner of scotland. Once there, we headed back south and took a route so i could ride a ferry. met a lovely man on a bandit on the ferry who suggested the best way to get to Wales. Went down through the middle of wales and then because of the pouring rain, exclaimed, 'bugger this for a game of soldiers!' and got on the m4 on the last day home.

the highlights? i got to play in a castle. again.
riding through snow country on mountains so steep i was scared if we had to stop cause i would fall off
the whole north west of scotland

the downside, [IMG]file:///E:/My%20Pictures/scotland/P7121075%20%28Small%29.JPG[/IMG]
realizing how terrible my old tyres really are and no amount of cornering is going to scrub them back into shape
watching tarra hit gravel in my rear vision mirror and high side it. luckily both he and the bike were fine apart from bruised egos and crash knobs.
not having more time to wander around and play in fields of heather and try and annoy sheep.

so thankyou all for all the help and advice given, it was all very useful! hopefully i will make a brief appearance next friday! i tell you what, new tyres, chain and sprockets has made a world of difference to my lovely little beast too.

Old 21-07-07, 08:08 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Scotish Highlands (warning photos)

Nice one.Been a few years since I did Scotland,but the scenary doesn't change.(Same rainclouds as well )
I can even tell a funny story about a punch up in a pub in Jedborough
Old 22-07-07, 10:46 PM   #3
Jester666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Nice one.Been a few years since I did Scotland,but the scenary doesn't change.(Same rainclouds as well )
I can even tell a funny story about a punch up in a pub in Jedborough
I'm sitting comfortably, so do tell!!
Old 23-07-07, 05:36 AM   #4
Stingo

Yes yes. I've pulled up a bollard, lit my pipe....now, you may begin...
Old 23-07-07, 11:31 AM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Twas a weeeld an stooormy nicht an the wind was a hoooling throoogh the treees.

More to follow.
Old 23-07-07, 11:40 AM   #6
Jester666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Twas a weeeld an stooormy nicht an the wind was a hoooling throoogh the treees.

More to follow.
Stop teasing us!! We want the full story!

Will it be funny enough to warrant us waiting with baited breath?
Old 23-07-07, 12:12 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Some years ago myself and a shipmate decided to spend a week's leave hitching around Scotland,and we ended up in Jedborough one evening.
That day there had been a sporting event and Scotland had beaten England causing a bit of a celebration drinky in the pub,and we being the only English people there were the butt of much mirth which we took in good spirit.
This being Scotland a fight broke out just before closing time at one end of the bar and then another started in the opposite corner.We were sat at the bar in the middle of what rapidly degenerated into a huge brawl involving seemingly everyone except us.Bottles flew,bits of furniture became makeshift missiles and the barstaff called the police who had to come about fifty yards from the station across the road.
The fight suddenly subsided as the entire room's occupants rushed out into the gents and continued hostilities there making a massive din as they did so.
Then the local bobby walked in.He surveyed a scene of total destruction with the noise of the brawl still going on just down the corridor,and us two still sitting at the bar, quite unscathed.Copper said to us,"Glad to see they are looking after you" and walked out.

When it was all over we helped the staff clear up,got invited to a lock in and stayed the night.
Old 23-07-07, 12:46 PM   #8
Jester666

Scottish hospitality at its best!!

At least you walked away unscathed and pi$$ed!!