SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-09-07, 02:44 PM   #1
mjf65

Default 33 bhp kit?

Anyone help on this one, I've heard you can buy and fit these yourself and providing you get the bike dynoed to prove its 33bhp or less its legal on the road for a rider with a restricted licence.

Second question, where do you buy them?
Old 08-09-07, 02:53 PM   #2
Sideshow#36

Default Re: 33 bhp kit?

Is yours an injected or carbed version?
If its injected all you need is one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/33hp-RESTRICTO...QQcmdZViewItem

However I am pretty sure its has to be professionally fitted and you get a certificate with it. Doesnt need to be dyno'd though

Hope this helps.
I'm sure somebody will be abel to tell you about the carbed version in a bit.
Old 08-09-07, 04:50 PM   #3
mjf65

Its actually for a Hornet 6
Old 08-09-07, 05:50 PM   #4
ASM-Forever

The law only states that you have to be 33BHP restricted, but insurance companies can be precious about requiring proof, in the form of an installation certificate.

From previous forum discussion, IMHO this is all still a bit of a grey area.

There is one particular company that offers restriction, but its quite expensive! If you use the search, you will quickly find it.

Alternatively restriction kits quite often come up in the 'for sale' section, as people finish their restriction period.
Old 08-09-07, 08:48 PM   #5
toonyank

This is coming from someone who's never had a restricted lisence but like it's been covered before.

It's only important if you are in a situation that requires proof, i.e. accident investigation, producer etc...

In terms of insurance maybe just ask them? I mean after all you have to have a license in the first place but has any insurance company ever asked you to prove you have a license? They haven't with me.
Old 08-09-07, 09:02 PM   #6
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

well is the hornet 6 is injection or carbed i have no idea

if you pick up a second hand kit it will save you tons of cash seeing as the sliders (carbed) cost 150 quid and CDI (injection) cost 100 quid new, your looking at about 70 ish quid to fit the sliders at a reasonable garage but the CDI would be probably about 20 quid for labor as its a matter of unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one 5 min job

when i comes to insurance etc i agree with ASM is a grey area, i myself have not been asked for any 33bhp proof what so ever, wasn't even mentioned when i took out insurance on the bike, only place it says it is on the back of my license, but almost 99.9% sure if you had a smash (touch wood it never happens) that your insurance company wouldn't pay up due to it not being legal for you to be riding a 33bhp> bike.

this is the company that sells them but phone up Honda or go to your local Honda dealer to see if Honda make a genuine one as it is normaly cheaper than Fi internation Suzuki do as my sliders are a genuine parts

HTH

now a question from me: after the 2 year restriction is up do they send you a new license automatically?

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 08-09-07 at 09:21 PM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-07, 09:31 PM   #7
mjf65

The bike is a 2000 model with carbs, I thought they just use washers on the carb bike and the cdi's with injection models?
Old 08-09-07, 09:34 PM   #8
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf65 View Post
The bike is a 2000 model with carbs, I thought they just use washers on the carb bike and the cdi's with injection models?
you are correct but they call them throttle slides controls the air flowing thought the carb etc, would phone Honda and see if they do a kit

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-07, 09:37 PM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

No mate, they can use washers to restrict the flow as FI international (robbing swines they are) do, or as suzuki do and use sliders that won't raise up all the way.

I personally have no documentation, if its in doubt then they can open up the carbs or put it on a dyno to check. innocent untill proven guilty and all that. and I'm not happy paying £70 for 20p worth of steel washer and a bit of paper. (which isn't a legal document despite what FI say)

Chris
Old 08-09-07, 09:39 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf65 View Post
the cdi's with injection models?
Don't let sid squid hear you say that!