SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-06-08, 12:15 PM   #1
xXBADGERXx

Default Fitting GSXR1000 Shock to my Pointy

Well todays the day , the weather sucks , Damage`s garage is empty so I`m gonna haul my backside over there and fit this puppy ...... piccies and write up to follow later on today
Old 21-06-08, 04:19 PM   #2
markmoto

Default Re: Fitting GSXR1000 Shock to my Pointy

Good luck mate its not to challenging
Old 21-06-08, 08:08 PM   #3
amnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototech View Post
Good luck mate its not to challenging

....just make sure you cut a big enough hole in the battery box...

...and watch the battery clearance if its a K6.

Other than that its a doddle...after all I managed it.
Old 22-06-08, 01:45 AM   #4
xXBADGERXx

Ok so here goes .........

SV put up on paddock stand to gain a bit of height .

Rear end stripped down and axle stands ready to go under the frame .

There she is .... the naffest shock I`ve ever experienced

GSXR1000 K4 shock in all it`s lonely Glory

Removed old shock and took undertray out .

Modified battery box , cut lugs off the right hand side and used a drill to cut away a portion so that it doesn`t foul the reservoir on top of the GSXR shock , Bit rough but who cares

All went particularly smoothly , plenty of copaslip was used and a rubber mallet to "persuade" the top of the GSXR shock into place . Bottom of shock was a different matter with plenty of faffing about to get things into place , bolt was inserted in from the right with the nut on the left and everything was tightened up . Bike was re-assembled and electrics etc tested to make sure all was well . Quick spot around the bike to make sure nothing was missed ....... and she was started up .

OH MY GOD .... what a difference . I went to Llandudno to pick up some exhaust paste for a friend and decided to come back via a local twisty lane . It was raining all afternoon so things were a bit slippery . This local lane I usually corner at 70 tops ...... I was being chased by some souped up VW Golf so decided to get a wriggle on and dust him off . I was cornering around the 90mph mark and letting the throttle off and coasting her down to 70 for some of the nastier bends ....... even in the wet the back end felt way better and I`m sure I could have given it a bit more ....... the VW was dealt a slap in the face as I was already entering the last bend after a straight and his lights appeared as I lined the bend up and decimated it .

It all took around 3 hours to do with Tea/Ciggy breaks and numerous texts to the Badgeress as she informed me of the progress of her hair styling appointment ... I informed her of my new shock progress but got texts back along the lines of "that`s great Hun" ---- what the hell is he on about ? . I just said it would be better for her on the back and she was happy with that . This has to be the best thing you can do for your bike and yourself , now for the front end !!!!!! I can see some new springs and heavier oil on the cards in a couple of months time , easy to do ?
Old 22-06-08, 09:06 AM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Yeay

Another one in the eye for the people who say its a stupid idea fitting a shock not intended for the SV!!
Old 22-06-08, 09:16 AM   #6
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Best thing I ever did on mine too! Same shock as yours.
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-08, 09:17 AM   #7
xXBADGERXx

It was if it was made for this bike , so smooooooooth and luvverley
Old 22-06-08, 09:32 AM   #8
Yaeger

you know , while all thats in pieces, you should get rid of that plastic tail
Old 22-06-08, 10:41 AM   #9
flymo
Mega Poster

Sounds like it was a good change then Badge'.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-08, 11:07 PM   #10
xXBADGERXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaeger View Post
you know , while all thats in pieces, you should get rid of that plastic tail
If you look closely that plastic tail is holding my Scottoiler Magnum Touring reservoir behind the number plate , would rather have that on than a tail tidy as I am inherently lazy when it comes to chain oiling , plus it keeps a lot of rear wheel spray down ....... I like the Snowplough anyway .

Yes Flymo I am forever in gratitude to you for supplying me the shock and the advice , went out today and that bike felt so smoooooooth .