SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 01-09-07, 09:23 PM   #1
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default France Holiday

Sorry if this drags on a bit
Got the ferry from Rosyth as I didn't fancy riding down to the eurotunnel in the rain.

Made the mistake of leaving my sleeping bag with my bike so had to sleep on the floor. Didn't get much sleep. 19 hours doesn't half drag on the ferry, but watched the simpsons and transformers in the cinema
Pishing with rain in France and got totally drenched so had to dry everything out after I eventually found a hotel.

Next I went to Paris. The traffic was really scary. Was sitting eating lunch and a guy on a scooter got knocked off by a van. Hardly anyone even batted an eye. Gave him a hand picking up his bike.
Took some pics and quickly left

Got a campsite in Orleans and found out my tent had a small leak

Then I went to Bordeaux but it was a really dodgy area and didn't look very nice so headed off to Agen. Went exploring up the hills and then got some pics before getting a B&B

I think these were in Toulouse

This road was the D612 to Beziers which is brilliant in the middle.

Then on to Nimes, Avignon, Aix-En-Provence, Marseille, Toulon. The weather here was roasting. The bike kept overheating and so did I lol. Was going to go to St Tropez but it was so busy. Filtered through the jams and just about got there but couldn't be bothered going all the way in so stopped here then turned back:

Saw this outside the post office and had to get a pic. Love these cars

Then I continued along the coast through Frejus, Cannes, Nice, Monaco (through the tunnel)
Nice:

Then did some more exploring up the hills from nice. Fantastic roads and views

Some of the corners were so tight I couldn't physicaly get the bike around in my lane, felt like I was practising my U turns again
I tried a few hotels up these hills but they were all full so had to go back into the city for the night.

The next day I headed for the alps. This was the best bit of the holiday for sure. Wish I'd spent more time there

Went up the D2565 to Lantosque and had a great meal at the restaurant while enjoying the views and the weather
Got to the skiing resort Valberg and got a hotel for the night.

Later that evening I went for a wee ride (without all the luggage) down to Peone and back. The roads are practicaly all just hairpin turns, brilliant.

The next day I dropped the bike. Stopped at a layby and my foot went in a wee dip. Managed to hold it for a bit but my leg was too close to the bike so couldnt push it back up so down we went onto my leg. Buggered up my back lifting the bike back up but not much damage to the bike. Just a scuffed mirror, crash bung and slight scratch on the exhaust. Didn't let it spoil the trip and just continued on

Took the wrong road and ended up at the Italian border in this little town

So turned around and went back the right way, along more great roads

Got to this great little section, loads of bikers here, and pushbikers They all seemed to be pensioners for some reason

Saw this car a few times on the way up through the Alps and then spotted it here, not sure if it had engine problems or what but couldn't see the two guys that were in it

These things in the towns were a blessing in the heat

Got a campsite and what amazing views to wake up to

The next day I got out the Alps at Grenoble and started thinking I might not have enough to time get back up to for the ferry. So over the next two days I blasted up north stopping at a few cities. Got to Dunkerque and tried 3 hotels but were all full so went into Belgium and got a room at Da Loft which was like a cafe, art gallery and hotel all rolled into one, cool place, would recommend. Tried exploring the roads but my god they are so boring. My chain was extremely loose by now after nearly 3000 miles so went to a bike shop to get it tightened but it had a serious tight spot so got it replaced. Just relaxed the next day then got the ferry home.

I think next time I'd just go straight for the Alps and skip out the touristy stuff, because you can't really enjoy it with all the bike stuff anyway.
One thing I liked about riding on the right was when you are coming onto a road from a sliproad you can let go of the left bar and have a really good look behind to see whats coming.
Oh and the speed limits are more sensible. On the motorway it was 110kph in the rain and 130kph in the dry (not that anyone stuck to them anyway) French drivers are nutters. I had to give a people carrier a boot in the drivers door once as it tried to wipe me out. He was more than half way across my lane, pushing me towards the central reservation. He got the message after that. I was crapping it though, thought that was me finished, so filtered off

Bad idea using soft luggage and bungees. The paintwork is in a state, just as well I didn't get it resprayed before I went. I think hard luggage is definitely a better option. And I should have taken one of those blow-up lie-lows. Those ground mats for in the tent are useless. The lie-low would take up less space and plus it has a pillow.
But anyway I'll know better for next time
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 09:31 PM   #2
Demonz

Default Re: France Holiday

Nice read and top pics. How good is this one...
Old 01-09-07, 09:45 PM   #3
mclarenmike

Thanks for sharing your adventure!.

Great inspiration
Old 01-09-07, 10:47 PM   #4
markmoto

Thanks for posting this and sharing your adventure darren i always enjoy these posts about peoples travels hope to post some of my own someday. And you did it all on your tod how cool. 3000 miles eh you must have bums of steel who says svs arnt comfy lol.
Old 01-09-07, 11:05 PM   #5
injury_ian

I'm starting to envy you, wasn't it you that did the fabulous tour of skye too?

Just out of curiosity how much would you reckon the holiday set you back? was it a week? - tell me to 'flubber off' if you wish!
Old 02-09-07, 12:22 AM   #6
rob13

Excellent pictures, stunning views
Old 02-09-07, 12:58 AM   #7
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Superb mate, thanks for sharing it with us. I take it this adventure was taken alone?
I've probably spent a grand on a holiday only 10% as enjoyable as that looked, good on you.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 06:41 AM   #8
mister c
Mega Poster

Nice pics & good story. I want to do some serious touring, but always find an excuse not to go. I think this has given me a bit of inspiration to get off my fat bum & do something about it
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 09:06 AM   #9
Tim in Belgium

Nice pics, glad you made your trip, and looks like you had a good one.

Are some of those shots of the Col dueVars / Col D'Izoard? The mountains look stunning in the dry there, when I was there it was all mist rain and clouds.
Old 02-09-07, 09:31 AM   #10
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

real nice

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote