SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SELKENT A forum for the folks down in Kent and SE London.

Old 11-06-06, 11:53 PM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Lydden Track Day reminder! - 5th August 2006

As you can't add to Dans thread you can here.

Come on people book up.

Here's something to give you a flavour.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 09:23 AM   #2
rigor

Just booked now, thanks for the reminder Rictus

Can't wait
Old 12-06-06, 10:54 AM   #3
coombest

I would love to go but unfortunately it's the same weekend as Brands Hatch World Superbikes and I shall be standing trackside, in a boiler suit in a fetching shade of orange!!
Old 12-06-06, 12:13 PM   #4
sharriso74

Can't find the 100% website are they still running?
Old 12-06-06, 01:04 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74
alway one
use the link and go to DANs thread for details
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 14-06-06, 07:09 AM   #6
sharriso74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharriso74
alway one
use the link and go to DANs thread for details
Doh booked now.
Old 14-06-06, 08:37 AM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

some stuff I wrote in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
Lydden, great track, but not for the speed freaks, Small and twisty, I’ve used this track for the last 10 years or so as somewhere people can learn cornering technique and practice it in safety.

I’ve taken nearly 200 people on their first trackday here, and of those three have crashed, however those three I believe would have crashed anywhere as they all had their own ideas and wouldn’t listen (so you knew it was going to happen).
I’ve found people have two main concerns on their first trackday.
1. They don’t want to trash their bike.
2. They don’t want to make a fool of themselves.

The first can be avoided by taking some simple steps
a. Good prep, make sure your bike has plenty of rubber (tyres not shagged) and brakes, and isn’t leaking anything.
b. You listen to the rider briefing.
c. It’s not a race, view the day as a way of improving your riding, get it right and you’ll end up faster anyway.
d. Take a bib (orange or some other bright colour) for the first couple of sessions, OK not the most flattering of garments, but everyone will give you more room, so you won’t have to worry about anyone behind you.
e. Use the staff, there are normally at least a couple of staff riders there, who are more than willing to follow you around, then lead you through the right lines on a session, just ask.
f. Remember to warm-up your tyres before pushing at any of the corners (see b above)
g. Take one corner at a time, sounds simple I know, but you’ve got all day, try getting one corner right, not fast, just right, coast around the rest of the track and try it again, (the great thing about Lydden is the fact you are back at that corner fairly soon, so can remember where you entered last time and try something a bit different this go).
h. Once you are happy with that corner move on to the next, then the next and so on, by lunchtime you’ll have a complete lap under your belt.

The second,
Well you can guarantee this by doing some of these things,
a. Trying to show your mates how good you are.
b. Not listening (Yea, Yea, that’s just for those that can’t ride).
c. Not bothering to setup your bike or checking anything beforehand.
d. Worrying about the “inferior” bike overtaking you.

The day,
Early start, track time normally starts at about 9 am, but you need to be registered by 8 am (driving lisence required), riders briefing somewhere in between, (they will also look over your bike and kit to make sure you’re both safe to go on the track).

Normally divided up into three groups, Novice, Intermediate, and fast. Don’t let it worry you the novice group will be more than enough your first time (some tracks you have to go in the novice if you’ve never been there before).

Each group has 20 minutes track time, then 40 minutes off, throughout the day. A break of an hour for lunch the back on until about 5 ish.

Tea and food are they the normal burgers, bangers and fried stuff with chips.

They do have other things there as well like tyres and sometimes suspension setup guys.

The track

No big straights to speak of, but it does have a hill, a hairpin, a 90 degree and so on.

It’s primarily a cornering and braking circuit.

The SV works well here, and you get the chance to practice all the cornering basics.

Start off slow; getting the corners and braking right will end up making you faster anyway.

Be prepared for “hero” like smelted tyres, as this always comes as a surprise to the first timers.

Just on Lynw point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
they really don't put up with people riding out of group [eg experienced riders who should be in the intermediates going in the novice so they "win" every time] or any dangerous riding .
Most organizers will move people from a group ( both faster and slower) following a warning, I’ve ridden in the novice group loads of time, as I’m with the people I came with and we all get to chat at the same time after, the price I pay is not to be able to go around at brake neck speed within that group, if you’re sensible it’s not a problem.

If you feel you need to be in a faster group, go and ask, if they can they will normally move you (although they may point out you’re not as fast as you think), also if you are concerned someone else in your group is dangerous, just have a wood and they will keep an eye on them and move/warn then if needed.
Cheers Mark.
Old 15-06-06, 07:51 AM   #8
helen

having chatted to Mark about this, I am well up for it. Will do the signing up bit in a mo.
Old 15-06-06, 04:15 PM   #9
mart

booked but asked about race cans and was told 90db is that a race can high or road legal high
Old 16-06-06, 07:56 AM   #10
helen

oh yes, race cans. mine's a bit of a rumbler - hope it'll be ok