SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 27-01-08, 05:18 PM   #31
Stig

Default Re: Decent Bike garage nr Bracknell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden View Post
Are we talking about the 6R here? If so, the forks are probably fine mechanically but just need setting up properly as kwaks generally have some of the best front-ends in the business (with a historical weakness at the rear).

An hour or so spent with someone who knows springs and damping would probably be far better spent than chucking more or less runny oil at the problem - or have a google for a few basic setups for your model - and a wholesale fork overhaul would be overkill. A click here and a turn there can work wonders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Search out a suspension guru in your area and have him take a look at the set up you have. if it really bothers you there's a guy called Ralph who owns a bike servicing place called Motorcycle Pitstop in Letchworth, Herts. He used to be on the Kawasaki works BSB team as their suspension set up man, so if anyone can sort he can. I'd leave the fork oil change until it's been seen by someone who knows their stuff about set up though.
I know a particular lady who has a very nice Mille but said it was crap and handled like crap and scared her all the time. A quick few miles ride I had to agree. It was but only because the suspension was all over the place. If the bike is not set up for you personally, you are always going to be riding around a crap handling bike. That is unless by pure chance the previous owner already had the suspension set up exactly as you would want it. (unlikely). She got the suspension set up for her (including most importantly, the rider say) and hey presto, a fine handling motorcycle that no longer handled like a bag of nails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_1871 View Post
I can live with the suspension as i'm gonna be doing a few trackdays this year and hopefully the bike will come into it's own..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
Is that how it works?
I'm sure he wrote that as a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
For an untrained clueless twonk, Ogden seems to be bang on the money here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogden View Post
It had to happen one day, you cheeky spic.
Funny. Really funny.
Old 31-01-08, 07:34 PM   #32
StreetHawk

Got it back tonight.. 216 pounds for the service and they did the rear brake pads as they were v low. The valve clearances were checked and all good, no shims needed. The cam chain was rattling too but that was another 138 quid which I don't have so that was put on hold for now. Said it doesn't affect the running of the engine, just a slightly annoying rattle heard at low revs. Well I started it up and was a lot quieter that before .

They couldn't see any issues with gearbox or chain/sprockets so the 'jumping out of gear' thing was probably user error It didn't happen once on the last rideout though so hopefully its nothing.

All in all was good service, they collected and delivered (in a van) when they said they would and gave it a quick clean too .

Worth mentioning tho that as it's a small business they only accept cash/cheque and give a hand written receipt.
Old 31-01-08, 08:35 PM   #33
Stig

Don't delay getting the cam chain sorted for too long. It could end up very expensive.
Old 31-01-08, 09:10 PM   #34
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe View Post
Don't delay getting the cam chain sorted for too long. It could end up very expensive.
I was going to say...if it goes wrong could be a new engine job, or an expensive rebuild.

I think ljharmitt was in the same position, before it all went wrong.
Old 31-01-08, 09:49 PM   #35
StreetHawk

Really? He didn't tell me any of this. Hmmmm... Maybe I should have got it done while they had it all apart
Old 31-01-08, 10:06 PM   #36
ogden
Mega Poster

What kind of old shed is it to have cam chain problems?

Or is it just the tensioner (bit of a Kwak special, that)?
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-08, 10:38 PM   #37
StreetHawk

It'a no old shed but it has done a healthy 27k miles. A look around a kwak forum shows it's common on B1's and most owners just live with it. It was quite noticable before it went into the garage but I started it tonight and it sounded much better so i'll wait until I give it a good run before deciding if i'm gonna get it replaced..