SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 25-02-08, 11:28 PM   #1
Sean_C

Default Question for you all..

I'm going to be spending a fair bit of time down in oxford, getting there by bike as it costs silly money any other way and I refuse to drive anything with 4 wheels
Is there a fairly safe place I can leave my bike unattended all day? Like the train station or something like that? I don't know oxford very well yet, are there bike bays around the town?
I have a nice beefy chain and padlock so it wouldn't be completely vulnerable, but it wouldn't take much for a few blokes to put it in the back of a van.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance
Old 26-02-08, 04:47 PM   #2
ASM-Forever

Default Re: Question for you all..

Warthog/Philbut are the people who will know best.

I'm sure they'll be along sometime.
Old 26-02-08, 05:02 PM   #3
Warthog

Hello mate, I live in Oxford.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=...293f97ff992fcb
I have made a map for you with some of the places that I know of. The best one will be the large one on Broad street. It's free, dead central, and lots of space. Access is only from eastern side note. Any permit parking spaces you can actually park in with a motorbike, so long as you are perpendicular to the kerb. I left my magnetic tank bag on for a few hours with no problems, and my bike is parked un covered outside my house every day with just a disc lock with no problems. It is a very safe place, and there should be no problems at all. Broad street parking is also crammed with people, so no one would lift your bike from there. If you work somewhere else in Cowley or Headington, get back to me as I am not so sure for around there. Again, and Permit parking is free for motorbikes and relatively safe. I love Oxford.
Old 26-02-08, 05:24 PM   #4
philbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Hello mate, I live in Oxford.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=...293f97ff992fcb
I have made a map for you with some of the places that I know of. The best one will be the large one on Broad street. It's free, dead central, and lots of space. Access is only from eastern side note. Any permit parking spaces you can actually park in with a motorbike, so long as you are perpendicular to the kerb. I left my magnetic tank bag on for a few hours with no problems, and my bike is parked un covered outside my house every day with just a disc lock with no problems. It is a very safe place, and there should be no problems at all. Broad street parking is also crammed with people, so no one would lift your bike from there. If you work somewhere else in Cowley or Headington, get back to me as I am not so sure for around there. Again, and Permit parking is free for motorbikes and relatively safe. I love Oxford.
+1, go for broad street or st Giles mate. Loads of bikes always parked there. Alternatvely, you could park in my department, which is on parks road (runs parallel to St giles). We have dedicated M/C parking and sometimes you can get a spot under cover too. PM me if you'd prefer that, but i think the centre is pretty safe for bikes. i've left mine there loads of times with no problems.
Old 26-02-08, 05:31 PM   #5
philbut

where you from in cambridge Sean? I used to live on Mill road opposite subway. i love the roads through potton and sandy on the way to Bedford. I still ride over that way quite regularly to see friends.
Old 26-02-08, 07:51 PM   #6
Sean_C

I'm just outside Cambridge in Histon. Yeah, the roads there aren't bad

Thanks for the map warthog, i'll stick it to me tank next time i go down

And its not for work, my better half lives out that way, in Faringdon, but oxford is a handy place to meet sometimes.