SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-11-08, 02:31 PM   #1
Kylie

Default Radiator woes

Had a bit of an off at Brands Hatch, broke too hard after it had started raining and lost the front. Bike damage not so bad, got lots of cheap replacement bits from svspares and am almost road worthy again.

Radiator got bent however and was weeping coolant when idling, put some radweld in but that didn't seem to help, and after a short ride up the garden I now have a very thin jet of coolant squirting out. Doh.

Is there any cheap way to fix a leak like this, or do I need another one? svspares sell damaged ones that they claim don't leak, worth the risk? (a new one is £120!).
Old 01-11-08, 02:45 PM   #2
petevtwin650

Default Re: Radiator woes

Depends where the leak is I guess as to whether the rad is gonna be repairable.

I have one off of my old curvy. Defo wasn't leaking when I took it off. And straight too.

Old 01-11-08, 07:51 PM   #3
vardypeeps

Bloody hell that second pick the exit pipe looks bent? Mine has been dropped on the lef and the pipe is bent.

If you have tried that radweld stuff and it's still leaking I would say it's time for a new or second hand rad, sorry.
Old 01-11-08, 09:18 PM   #4
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardypeeps View Post
Bloody hell that second pick the exit pipe looks bent? Mine has been dropped on the lef and the pipe is bent.
That is my rad in those pics and it ain't bent.
Old 02-11-08, 09:39 AM   #5
Kylie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Depends where the leak is I guess as to whether the rad is gonna be repairable.

I have one off of my old curvy. Defo wasn't leaking when I took it off. And straight too.
Thanks for the response. I'm guessing that your curvy rad isn't going to fit my pointy K3 however, shame that.

Might take a punt on an old one from svspares and see how I get on. Haynes say its a 3 spanner difficulty job, plenty for me to make a bodge of then....
Old 02-11-08, 09:54 AM   #6
Mr Toad

You can get them repaired - my SV100 rad was straightened and the leak fixed by a local garage after my off
Old 02-11-08, 09:57 AM   #7
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
That is my rad in those pics and it ain't bent.
+ 1, that is as straight as it comes from the factory.
Old 02-11-08, 10:37 AM   #8
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm guessing that your curvy rad isn't going to fit my pointy K3 however, shame that.
Sorry Kylie should have looked more closely at your avatar. I only think of you having a Curvy. Rad job should be easy, especially if you haven't got the lowers. Bleeding the air out would be my only worry but at least you have a temp gauge to keep an eye on things. I would also advise that you make sure the fan kicks in at the right temp just in case the sensor is damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
+ 1, that is as straight as it comes from the factory.
Thanks for the confirmation DD.
Old 02-11-08, 10:49 AM   #9
Kylie

Quote:
Sorry Kylie should have looked more closely at your avatar. I only think of you having a Curvy. Rad job should be easy, especially if you haven't got the lowers.
Lowers are looking a bit worse for wear after sliding down the track, so they've been removed for now. Looks like job would be easier still with upper fairing off but haynes don't seem to think I'll need to so thats good.

Quick scan of web shows cheapest rad repair outfit I can find is £60, will have a ring around tomorrow but at that price one from a breakers looks preferable.
Old 02-11-08, 10:56 AM   #10
petevtwin650

Well a reputable breaker should give you a short guarantee. And as I imagine you'll fit it straight away and any fault should be quickly apparent I'd risk a s/h one.