SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 23-09-09, 03:01 PM   #61
Daimo

Default Re: Annual Track Day Discussion

Just to add in as i've just been made aware of this.

tbh, i really like the idea. I may not be able to committe to all circuits, but I would love the chance to ride at all the tracks, at a cheaper price, with those who've i've chatted with over the years.

The only problem i've found from my car meet days is that its very ahrd to get people to committe to it. They say they will come, then the day before, they pull out... So if something was to be arranged, payments should be made well in advance. Imagine paying for a trackday in November, then going to it in say april... Its basically like a free trackday in April, although not so good for your funds in november

After doing my first TD at Brands, I loved it, I could have carried on all night (just an evening session), I was gutted when it was over. Now im finding myself looking at track days all over the UK, and even into Europe (after a friend recently done Jerez and Almeria). Those were £750 though, and although you had 2 days of open pitlane, and transport for your bike there, you still needed to sort out accomodation and your flights (hence 1k trip, owchy!!! Luckily his boss is a mental track dayer and paid for his bike riding employees to go).

TD are theway forwards, you can enjoy your bike far more and use it as best as you can properly. (PS you've missed Rockingham, anti clockwise = easier for lft knee down action ).

So in other words, another double hands up over here for another interested person. Plus should the time come, and the price be right, im sure we all have a friend or two who may be interested in joining us all.
Old 23-09-09, 03:55 PM   #62
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Cadwell Park yesterday was immense. Maybe not the best track in the world to do, particularly for Novices as it's hard work and quite daunting.

But having a few orgers there made it fun coming back in after each session and chatting about things, apologising for dodgy overtakes () etc. The more experienced folk can even help out the Novices and lead/follow them round.

Cadwell didn't quite fall into place as well as the Brands Hatch day. Maybe because it was a week day/far from a lot of southern folk etc etc. But definately something we should look at for next year.
Old 23-09-09, 04:03 PM   #63
fastdruid
Mega Poster

I wonder if those that are slating Rockingham are going for different layouts, we *love* the national but would give the international a miss on the smaller bikes. Yes it's a bit flat but it has a lot of left handers and some serious knee down action.

Same goes for silverstone, too fast a circuit and a bit dull unless you have a faster bike.

Brands looks fun but too far (and not just in distance, anything that involves going close to london is off putting) and way too expensive (due to being so close to london).

Donington is fun but expensive and very limited full noise days (and my SV is *loud*)

Cadwell is fantastic but a long way, same for Oulton.

Mallory is fun for a laugh but not something you'd rave about afterwards.

Anyway, sign me up for any except Brands (unless massively discounted) but my vote for a 'national reasonable distance for everyone' circuit is Rockingham national

Druid
Old 26-09-09, 08:01 AM   #64
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
and even into Europe (after a friend recently done Jerez and Almeria). Those were £750 though, and although you had 2 days of open pitlane, and transport for your bike there, you still needed to sort out accomodation and your flights (hence 1k trip, owchy!!! Luckily his boss is a mental track dayer and paid for his bike riding employees to go).
Sorry, off topic a bit but I did 4 days on track in Almeria in March, with accomodation, breakfast and bike transport. £600 with Focused. No group sessions in the afternoon so 4 hours on track mixing with some BSB privateer boys (Peter Hickman was on it virtually all day) and sessions with McKenzie and James Haydon. Cheaper than UK even when counting in Easyjet flights and car hire. Oh, a .org foreign track session would be good but probably unrealistic.

As for AT tracks, love Brands but is tucked away in the southe east (30 minutes for me!) and Indy very short which means you end up overtaking/being overtaken a lot. GP ridicously expensive.

Lydden is in the back of beyond and Div 3 compared to others. Nice all day breakfast though so if you are going purely to eat....

Snetts is very easterly so not convenient for most, its got a rep for being boring but good riders do find it challenging to make time in esses & bomb hole. Corum curve is fabulous when on full chat.

Donington is great track, central, superb facilities but best avoid quiet days and a bit pricey.

Silverstone has several layouts but even the GP is OK for the SV. A nice wide track and plenty of run off is best for mixed abilities and cheap for what it is (and I'm doing the GP on Monday, whoohoo). This would be good for people who do not TD often/never.

Rockingham is awesome, both Intl which takes some getting used to, and National but both quite technical hence usually a few accidents. CSS use it a lot because it has quite a few lefts as well as rights and has a good mix of fast and slow corners. Again quite technical but has some quick bits so suits all bikes.

I'd go for something central like Donny, Silverstone (1st Choice), Rockingham (2nd choice) although it does rain a lot up there. Rockingham does always seem to be available as well as thy do not do many race meetings there hence available at weekends although No Limits seem to get in there a lot

Last edited by Balky001; 26-09-09 at 12:31 PM.
Balky001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-09, 11:22 AM   #65
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

+1 On Silverstone or Donington. Central and not bad for beginners.
Old 26-09-09, 06:17 PM   #66
Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
I love the idea of an Annual Trackday and i agree with Cazza that it'd be easier to do it thru an organiser and make sure we get a decent discount.

I'm still in 2 minds if it should be at various tracks every year ... or always at Brands, lol. There is good arguments for both ideas so i'm really torn there.
totally agree, have it at B H so you southerners only have 20 miles to go, makes perfect sence, not.
Old 26-09-09, 06:19 PM   #67
Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Yeh Brands is nice for all of us who live down this way but is it being a little thoughtless to those who live a long, long way away from it?

I'm not going on a free trackday at Oulton Pk cos its just too far to justify for a few sessions, are we limiting numbers by suggesting its Brands every year i wonder?
of course you would be limiting nos, totally agree with this post spidey.