SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-10-09, 08:20 PM   #21
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Assess my riding

Firstly, if you can understand your riding is not very good, then why havn't you sat down and worked out how to make it better? Not having a go or being confrontational, but you admit you know your riding is not good, so you must have an idea of what should be right...right?

Never ever think about how fast other people are riding. My dad rides pretty quick, but I dont worry about keeping up. I ride at a pace I feel comfortable. If it feels fast to me, then it IS fast to me. Employ this tactic for yourself and dont worry about the "slow" jibes.

Confidence comes from riding lots on the same sorts of roads. I'm confident on sweeping A and B roads, I've ridden alot of them. I'm confident in towns in rush hour, because I've ridden in rush hour alot!

I'm not so confident on really tight roads with tight hairpins and stuff. I feel the same as you do...rubbish.

Get out there, slow down a little and concentrate on smooth riding. Assess yourself; were you in the right gear? Did you take the safest line you could? hat hazards did you spot early? What did you miss?

Consider things like seeing as far ahead as possible when going round turns.

Above all, enjoy your riding
Old 17-10-09, 09:23 PM   #22
mattSV
Mega Poster

Ross - I did a Bikesafe day about 8 years ago with Hampshire Police - on my 650 with twin renegade cans - only comment from them was 'bloody hell, they sound nice'

Made me a faster, smoother & safer rider - highly recommended
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-09, 10:05 PM   #23
ArtyLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueto View Post
cos i cant keep up with normal bikers. they seem to have confidence around bends and seem to know how to handle the bike. when i was training a women pulled out on me and i swerved to miss her and hit a hedge. my instructor went nuts at the cage driver bashing her windows an all sorts. for soem reason i seem to be a bit edgy on the road and make mistakes. its these mistakes id like to rectify to allow me to ride a bit safer.
You probably cant keep up with them because they're going too fast - you'll be safer not trying!

Sounds to me like you need to join your local IAM/Rospa - Bikesafe is good but only one session whereas IAM is regular training to instill good riding standard and increase your confidence.

Last edited by ArtyLady; 17-10-09 at 10:07 PM.
Old 17-10-09, 10:33 PM   #24
sunshine

you really do need some more training, dont get on edge because of a cage driver, watch them expect them to try and kill you.

take the outside line on corners so the line is longer and you can maintain your speed. when in a straight line dont aim for going flat out having some fun i keep up with my mates on the round the bends when they slow down for the racing lines.

If your ever in the midlands let me know i can tell you where your going wrong if anywhere. get positive about your riding without getting cocky.
it doesnt matter how many times you take a bend there could be something different next time you go round it there could be something on there to take you out.
if your trying to ride with speed slow down first and know how your bike feels speed comes with time, like years of riding.
Old 17-10-09, 11:20 PM   #25
ophic
Mega Poster

try riding a cruiser. Corner lines... keeping up... speed... filtering... swerving... its all pie in the sky
Old 18-10-09, 01:11 AM   #26
joshmac

I'd also recommend doing a bikesafe day. I did one last year up in London. They check your MOT certificate, insurance and license. In my experience and from what I've heard from others, loud cans and small plates aren't an issue. The only comment the copper said about my exhaust was to say he thought it sounded great. I don't consider myself a good enough rider to give other people advice, so I won't offer personally.
Old 18-10-09, 06:24 AM   #27
Gene genie

i'd go for more training myself and just enjoy it. as for your riding i would say enjoy that too at your tempo and always remember the basics, to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear and as for corners, slow in and accellerate out.
Old 18-10-09, 08:39 AM   #28
Talya

Buy this as a start:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-R...5855028&sr=8-1

I live in Southampton and I'd say I'm a very safe rider, I never break the speed limit, quite good with hazards (I assume no one else knows how to drive) and I know when I've made a questionable decision on the road.

I've only been riding 2 yrs though and I'm not very good at being authority so I probably wouldn't be able to help you
Old 18-10-09, 09:21 AM   #29
custard

www.rapidtraining.co.uk
Old 18-10-09, 02:27 PM   #30
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I went out today with a friend. I used to be as fast if not faster than him when I had my CBR, but he was totally roasting me since I've had the R1. It is a totally different riding experience and I have had a bit of a crisis in confidence. Did about 160 miles today. First half was awful. I was just slowing right down for corners and pottering round them or feeling like I was going in too hot and standing the bike up with the brakes. Mark was following me all the way.

We parked up had a coffee and a chat and he gave me some good feedback on my riding. Second half I followed him for about 50 miles. Riding at about 60% and just concentrating on lines, braking and cornering and progressively getting faster. The last 20 miles was brilliant. Had confidence in the bike and was able to lean on it into the corners. All the "feeling" had come back and I could feel the grip. Totally banzai'd him on a few corners.

I'll go out with you if you want and we can do the same. Start slow and concentrate on your braking / road positioning to start off with and gradually increase the pace. No need to go balls out. I think that sports bikes need to be pushed a little to get the best out of them. It's when they are being pushed that they start to work. They are not made to bimble.

Had a massive grin and so much more confidence after todays ride. Take it slow and build up the pace gradually. No prizes for dragging itr out of a hedge!!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote