SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-04-11, 09:46 PM   #11
SVGrandad

Default Re: Scottoiler - Dual Injector - Worthwhile? Waste of Money?

I found the Scottoiler twin injector excellent. Easier to mount, stays where you put it, and after initial priming it didnt need repriming after the fluid ran low. Could be set to adequately lube the chain without fling onto the tyre. The dealer had no problem with it either when he fitted new tyres.
To an engineering mind, the single injector is just a bodge, although I must accept Mr Squids comments that it can be made to work properly.
Old 01-05-11, 02:35 PM   #12
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

From some time ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STU
Well I'm sitting comfortably, all ears to listen why I'm wrong and why Scottoiler charge you for money for the Dual sided thingy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
A drive chain, as I'm sure you know, is constructed of two types of links, the inner and the outer. The outer link sideplates are connected together by pins that you see peened over, (rivetted), on the sides of the plates. The inner link plates are connected together in a similar way except that the joining pins are hollow - a bush. Those two parts make a bearing upon which the links articulate, the pin passing through the bush. In an unsealed chain - a non 'O' ring chain - you need to lube this joint or the chain will soon be excessively worn, it can be oiled from either side as the pin and bush have a clearance between them allowing them to move and allowing lubricant between them, if they didn't it would soon sieze. It's this very bearing that is sealed in an 'O' ring* chain and cannot be oiled** - grease is used fill this joint when the chain is made and lasts the life of the chain**. Upon the bush that joins the inner sideplates there is a roller, this roller is the part of the chain that primarily contacts the sprockets, allowing the chain to roll on and off of the teeth of the sprocket rather than slide which would quickly cause wear. The roller isn't sealed and must be lubricated, it too has a clearance that allows it to spin on the bush and allows lubricant into it's bearing faces, from either side.
If my explanation has been adequate it should be apparent that if you use an unsealed chain it will need lubricant into the articulations of the joints and the roller. It will need lube inserted between inner and outer plates so as to get between the pin and bush, between the inner plates and the edges of the roller to get under the roller so it will roll effectively on the bush, a little overspray on top of the roller eases the contact of the two, but is the lube that soonest dissapears.
It should also be clear that when using a sealed chain the only bit that you can oil is the roller, and further that this can be done from either side.

* Or 'X' ring, either describes a sealed chain.
** Unless your chain is goosed and the seals have failed of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Marketing, money, youve been pulled on that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
That may be putting it a bit strongly. However the dual oiler allows chain oilers to be sold to people that wouldn't otherwise buy them because of the 'only oil one side of the chain' misconception.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 04:02 PM   #13
SVGrandad

Thanks Mr Squid for that brilliant description of chain construction, and yes, you are right that the chain needs lubricating from one side only - with your vast experience you would rarely if ever be wrong. However, I looked long an hard at the single injector and could not find a satisfactory (to me) way of mounting it. With the dual injector I had no such problems. I would argree that you dont want anything sturdy in that area, and the single injector is good in that respect.
One bit you did not mention Sid is the cleaning effect of the lubrication - the Scottoiler oil kept my chain and side plates rust free on both sides without additional cleaning. Does the single injector get sufficient oil on the inner side plates to keep them clean and rust free?
Cheers
SVGrandad
Old 01-05-11, 05:46 PM   #14
danf1234

I have three dual injectors in my garage that were all ****. None of them worked as they should. They get air locked, get knocked out of position., they drain on the side stand, there is no way to get even flow as they are gravity fed.

My single nib has never ever ever never let me down.

After weeks of complaining I got my money back from scotoiler, with an admission that there is no way to control dual flow rate with that set up. It uses a wicking inside. Basically a sponge.

Great idea that was poorly executed.
Old 01-05-11, 06:58 PM   #15
Villers

Ive had 2 bikes Ive bought previously that have had scottoilers already installed. The firts (a single) wasnt too bad, took ages to get the flow rate right but in general it was a pain in the ****. It had oil delivery tourettes, one minute it would maybe be a drip every two minutes or something - the next it would think I was riding through the sahara and needed a constant dribble.

The second was a double and it was fited to my Hayabusa. It had very poor self discipline to say the least. On two seperate occassions it managed to **** its entire guts out on the garage floor when it was left aone over night.

Personally I wouldnt have one on my bikes now (the second one was removed and binned forthwith of the second '****ing out its guts' infringement) because they simply cannot be trusted. I can understand that some people have fantastic results, and they need a lot of fine tuning, but I wont be paying such cash for such heartache which could realistically result in it dumping a load of lubricant onto the only thing between the road, power and myself.
Old 02-05-11, 12:54 AM   #16
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I appreciate that some people have had troubles setting up or using a chain oiler, (not solely Scotoilers), but the significant number I have fitted and also those I have used myself have never suffered problems once set something like right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGrandad View Post
Does the single injector get sufficient oil on the inner side plates to keep them clean and rust free?
Yes. In their constant movement the chain and sprockets cause such turbulence, particularly when contained within the front sprocket cover, that a little oil gets everywhere around the chain, when set correctly this won't be an amount that causes oil to wee all around the back of your bike.
Arriving at this setting is possibly the problem that those who experience trouble most commonly find, but it isn't hard to get to, or that fine an adjustment - if it's fitted right.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote