SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-10-11, 06:19 PM   #1
ian505050

Default Garage work on my car question.

Took car to garage because clutch was slipping.

Garage said new clutch and slave cylinder required

I said ok fine £275 later i received the car back and it would not go in reverse now.

Took car back to garage and explained that it would go in reverse fine before clutch was changed and left the car with him.

I then left the car with him and he replaced the clutch and slave cylinder for a 2nd time.

The car at his point would still not go in reverse.

At this point he said he could try a new master cylinder but this would be £137 extra.

He replaced the master cylinder and this has solved the problem.

I believe i am now going back to the garage to pay:-

£275.00 for clutch and slave cylinder

£137.00 for the master cylinder

BUT
the guy mentioned on the phone about the first clutch fitted was not faulty and put the point across to me to me about the issue of paying for the labor of replacing the clutch and slave cylinder twice. As it was the master cylinder at fault.

mmmmmmmm............. What do you think?

At no point did i instruct him to strip the gearbox out and replace the clutch and slave cylinder again. He did this off his own back without telling me.

Gonna go to the garage tomorrow to pay and wanted to see what you guys think is fair.
ian505050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 06:26 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Garage work on my car question.

its not your fault they had to rip the clutch out again to fix a fault that should have been picked up on the first time, which sounds like they never tested the car after the repairs the first time.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 06:31 PM   #3
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian505050 View Post
Took car to garage because clutch was slipping.

Garage said new clutch and slave cylinder required

I said ok fine £275 later i received the car back and it would not go in reverse now.

Took car back to garage and explained that it would go in reverse fine before clutch was changed and left the car with him.

I then left the car with him and he replaced the clutch and slave cylinder for a 2nd time.

The car at his point would still not go in reverse.

At this point he said he could try a new master cylinder but this would be £137 extra.

He replaced the master cylinder and this has solved the problem.

I believe i am now going back to the garage to pay:-

£275.00 for clutch and slave cylinder

£137.00 for the master cylinder

BUT
the guy mentioned on the phone about the first clutch fitted was not faulty and put the point across to me to me about the issue of paying for the labor of replacing the clutch and slave cylinder twice. As it was the master cylinder at fault.

mmmmmmmm............. What do you think?

At no point did i instruct him to strip the gearbox out and replace the clutch and slave cylinder again. He did this off his own back without telling me.

Gonna go to the garage tomorrow to pay and wanted to see what you guys think is fair.
If they do that, ask them to re-fit the original clutch and slave cylinder at their expense, as they replaced them without any good need due to mis-diagnosing the fault.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 06:39 PM   #4
Specialone

I agree, tell them to do one, they should've diagnosed it correctly.

Fair enough if you have a new clutch and slave then pay for the 1st one but not for the labour on the 2nd.

Why would they change the first one THEY fitted, didn't they fit it properly the first time??? Or use crap parts?
Old 12-10-11, 06:44 PM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

Sorry to read of your problems, but your systems do not suggest a faulty master cylinder, more likely a failure to correctly realign the gear selector when the box was refitted. If the master cylinder had been at fault you would not have been able select any gear. Nor does a faulty slave cylinder lead to clutch slip, unless you are of course suffering a leak onto the clutch and topping up the reservoir.
Old 12-10-11, 07:00 PM   #6
ian505050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its not your fault they had to rip the clutch out again to fix a fault that should have been picked up on the first time, which sounds like they never tested the car after the repairs the first time.
He tested it but obviously not reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
If they do that, ask them to re-fit the original clutch and slave cylinder at their expense, as they replaced them without any good need due to mis-diagnosing the fault.
i agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I agree, tell them to do one, they should've diagnosed it correctly.

Fair enough if you have a new clutch and slave then pay for the 1st one but not for the labour on the 2nd.

Why would they change the first one THEY fitted, didn't they fit it properly the first time??? Or use crap parts?
He recons the first clutch and slave cylinder were 100% perfect and fully functional if not for a faulty master cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Sorry to read of your problems, but your systems do not suggest a faulty master cylinder, more likely a failure to correctly realign the gear selector when the box was refitted. If the master cylinder had been at fault you would not have been able select any gear. Nor does a faulty slave cylinder lead to clutch slip, unless you are of course suffering a leak onto the clutch and topping up the reservoir.
clutch had just worn out and thats why i got it replaced originally. A few people have mentioned that he should realign the gear selector, but he says this was checked and done correctly.

The clutch fluid was never required to be topped up. mmmm...........
ian505050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 09:53 PM   #7

sorry but how can a master cylinder effect only reverse...

and if they try to give you grief about the second clutch ask to see the new old one he took out.. bet you a £5 its the same damn one!
Old 12-10-11, 10:40 PM   #8
mpsricky

tell him to get bent!!!! politely
Old 13-10-11, 07:47 AM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Well as the clutch was slipping your going to have to stomp up that one . Most modern cars have a release bearing combined with the slave so its sensible to replace it. But I'd look at it then decide if its ok.
May have bled the clutch and then the master cylinder may have failed .
Second clutch and labour ,no way ,miss diagnosed by the garage .
Old 13-10-11, 07:49 AM   #10
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
sorry but how can a master cylinder effect only reverse...

and if they try to give you grief about the second clutch ask to see the new old one he took out.. bet you a £5 its the same damn one!
No sycro in reverse .so if the clutch is dragging you can't slow the gear shaft.
If it went in with out engine running then It's clutch drag