SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-04-12, 10:26 AM   #41
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Knee sliders .. whats the point ?

Going round and round the same roundabout is cheating if were honest.
Old 23-04-12, 11:01 AM   #42
Cymraeg_Atodeg

I wasn't going to wade in on this, but, I feel I need to.

Some of us can't get to tracks that easily and the fact that we can emulate our favourite riders (albeit doing it safely) is a big boost to moral and confidence.

I got my first knee down on a day out with TON and we went around and around the same round-about for a good 45 mins to an hour trying to lean over.

The thing is, I don't like the british roads, for lack of a better word they are s**t. I have been to Germany and rode in and around Saurland. The "A" and "B"-roads over there make our motorways look crap! Even the recently laid ones!

The tarmac they use is more akin to race-track standard, it had tons of grip and is smooth & clean. No pot-holes/scars/etc that we deal with using british “roads.” But, the whole time I was over there I didn’t lean the bike over that far because I didn’t have confidence in my bike, my tyres or me.

Now, I thought you can’t get knee-down on british roads safely just because of the state they are in, but, after that day ride out with TON, I started paying a hell of a lot more attention to the road conditions on roundabouts or “nice” long sweeping bends. When you know a road well and know it is safe to lean over (weather conditions and traffic taken in to account) getting knee-down becomes easy.

So, just because you have got scraped knee sliders and haven’t been on a track doesn’t make you a “cock,” I am on my third pair of knee sliders and haven’t done a track day, but, I don’t want adulation. My knee sliders aren’t for you to admire, they are for me to destroy and have fun with. If I know I am not gonna use them on a ride I take them off.

I do agree with an earlier statement though, getting knee-down doesn’t make you faster when on the roads, as you have to concentrate a lot when doing knee-down. It isn’t done often enough to become “natural,” like if you did it day in/day out on a track (i.e. being a bike racer.)

I find leaning off a bit to move the weight to the inside of the bike pays more dividends than hanging off like a gangly monkey. But, hanging-off is more fun IMO…

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Going round and round the same roundabout is cheating if were honest.

If you want to "brag" on the road you need to have left knee down as well as right. Right is too easy with all the round-abouts around the UK.
Old 23-04-12, 11:13 AM   #43
Owenski

Only ever managed it once, wasnt riding perticularly hard, wasnt trying to do it just went into a roundabout taking 270degree of turn tp my exit and tipped it in, it **** me up more than anything tbh.
It was only a short journey (Uni at Leeds to Robs gaff in Morley) and it cost me a pair of jeans, Rob might even remember the say cos Im sure it was only a week or so before he bought the bike off me plus I wa still bouncing when I got to his house.

Im a hanger off'er though, I think it because I dont sit central so in a corner I need to shift my weight to keep it steady. I know when I started shifting my weight I got much quicker and smoother, but I never got any faster after having my knee down.
Old 23-04-12, 11:19 AM   #44
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

So how many on here can get their knee down? I think there needs to be a poll as clearly there is a select few on here that have entered the stage of awesomeness with riding

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-12, 11:20 AM   #45
Owenski

Mine was a fluke you should have sub catagory for those who've only done it on a roundabout.
Old 23-04-12, 11:34 AM   #46
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
Mine was a fluke you should have sub catagory for those who've only done it on a roundabout.
I've done it on track but that's a different world. On the road I've only done it twice both time were accidents. Its not something i think about when I'm riding.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-12, 11:36 AM   #47
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Your need
1.roundabout
2.track
3.road.
Old 23-04-12, 11:37 AM   #48
TheOnlyNemesis

I mainly just like to hang off, if my knee touches the road or not doesn't concern me. Just enjoy moving more on the bike and find i can take corners slightly faster when leaning off due to going in a little faster.
Old 23-04-12, 12:06 PM   #49
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
I've done it on track but that's a different world. On the road I've only done it twice both time were accidents. Its not something i think about when I'm riding.
I've never ridden track but your response is what I'd thought someone who does would be, well its what I'd have hoped it would be lol.
I'd have assumed most get thier fill in the right enviroment, by contrast it would be interesting to see if any track regulars also regularly do it on public roads.
Old 23-04-12, 12:20 PM   #50
sv4me
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Your need
1.roundabout
2.track
3.road.
1 & 3 check my sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
I've never ridden track but your response is what I'd thought someone who does would be, well its what I'd have hoped it would be lol.
I'd have assumed most get thier fill in the right enviroment, by contrast it would be interesting to see if any track regulars also regularly do it on public roads.
I don't try on proper run outs to be honest although it happens occasionally. I do head over to Skelmersdale every now and then to surf their multiple roundabouts and traffic islands though, it's fun
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote